We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

palace of versailles fountains v crowds

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
palace of versailles fountains v crowds

Help.... Planning a Paris holiday in mid August, and planning a trip to the Palace of Versailles. I am very aware this is a busy busy time (but they really really want to go). This trip is for my fit 80 year old mum and trying to plan which is the best day to go with the least crowds versus seeing the fountains running!!

1. are the fountains (without music) on every day or just weekends and Tuesday?

2. Which day would possibly have the least crowds.. Thurs, Sun or Tue?

3. Where do you hire the golf buggy from, and can you prebook them?

Id really appreciate any info please

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,592 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: palace of versailles fountains v crowds

The fountains only run on weekends and Tuesdays and then only for an hour in the morning and an hour and a half in the afternoon. IMHO it is worth going for that. You can see my snapshots in my photo journal under day trips from Paris from our garden visit last October.

The buggies cannot be pre-booked and they get snapped up immediately. I would not count on being able to get one. If you want to move around the estate and not walk, there is also a tram like thing that goes from the top of the gardens out to the Trianon. It is also a lovely if longish walk. The golf carts follow a prescribed path. If a buggy is important I would arrive very early and enter at the garden gate (to the right of the chateau as you face it) and hope to get a buggy right away. I doubt you will get one later in the day. It is certainly the right idea with someone 80. I took my mother to Italy at that age and the walking and the fact that all restrooms were up stairs or downstairs (also true in Paris) made the going tough. Still a great trip though -- some happy memories of my mom.

The garden is not huge and if there is no golf cart, you can probably manage that fine. The estate though is huge and if she wants to see the hameau and Trianon (I'd bag the Trianon frankly) then the tram like thing is the way to go.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,592 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: palace of versailles fountains v crowds

ps FWIW the fountains are mostly hidden in copses of trees and fences, so you have to identify from the map what you want to see and then find a path to them. The buggies will not be able to drive on those paths; I am not sure how you manage leaving them to actually see the fountains without them being stolen or whatever.

3. Re: palace of versailles fountains v crowds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 25, 2017