We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just booked our airline tickets...

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Just booked our airline tickets...

...for our honeymoon to Paris in September! We had been watching a flight on Orbitz from Boston to CDG that was $696, $1400 total roundtrip. I had seen the same flight for about $1300 on Sidestep.com, and then I found the same flight for only $1200 on Flycheapabroad.com! I checked it on Orbitz this weekend and saw that it had gone $696 to $736! I freaked out, checked it on flycheapabroad.com thinking it had gone up there as well, and lo and behold, it was the same price, so we booked it!

I'm hoping we got a good price- I guess you never can tell with airfare. I heard that the prices would be going up due to the rising cost of oil, so I hope we did the right thing!

Now we just have to wait 6 months until we can go!

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Roissy-en-France, France
Philly
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just booked our airline tickets...

Sometimes it seems to me that the price of the tickets on Orbitz depends on the day of the week. They are cheap on Monday, go up on Friday, back to the old price on Monday.... I am not sure what the story is, but that is what I noticed.

I also noticed, that sometimes if you book directly at the airline site you get the same price as with Orbitz minus around 5 bucks, which I believe must be Orbitz fee. That is true about US Airways at least. Each time I found a cheap flight on Orbitz from US Airways, it was actually cheaper on US Airways website....

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just booked our airline tickets...

Yeah- I've heard that as well. And I did check out the airline, and it was still cheaper on Flycheapabroad.com. I'm always so worried about booking airfare, because it fluctuates so much. But I figured might as well do it now.

I can't believe I have to wait 6 months!! :-(

VALENCIA CALIFORNIA
Level Contributor
590 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just booked our airline tickets...

I remember when I booked our trip, I was thinking Oh man 5 months until we go. But now it's 8 weeks!!!!!!!!! And counting down. Don't worry you'll have time to research and do your iterinary, learn French etc. Then you'll be ready!!!!!!! Time will fly.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,932 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just booked our airline tickets...

airfares are unpredictable. If you've been studying the average price then you probably have a good idea of when the price is low or too high.

I'm flying from Washington DC to Rome in June 2005, and I booked the tickets back in September 2004. I knew that the price of $375 was a very good bargain when I saw it. Today I priced a ticket on our exact flights and the price is now up to $1300.00. If you study the fares long enough you'll be able to spot a deal when it comes up...and you better jump on it ASAP!

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Sainte Genevieve...
Level Contributor
358 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just booked our airline tickets...

I am booked for 4/19; I paid $634 Cincinnati to Paris (AF). Last night I checked the cost for the same flight, booking now (hoping to be smug because the cost had increased due to rising oil prices or demand or something) and found the price was just over $300. Yikes. AF folks were kind about my highly restrictive ticket; they allowed me to pay $150 to change the ticket to the lower cost (I didn't even have to change my seat assignments), and they are refunding me $130 - wahoo, dinner! I remembered to say, "Merci, Madam!"

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Merci
Merci
281 Reviews
Paris, France
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
266 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Just booked our airline tickets...

Wow Cody, that is awesome! My flights are included in a riverboat tour I'm doing in Amsterdam on my way to Paris. I'm flying Delta and hope it's OK. Would have liked to fly Air France, but maybe next time! Have a great trip.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
France
France
Europe
Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just booked our airline tickets...

I booked JFK to CDG for April 7 at $459 on American Airlines. Two days later it went down to $402 and they gave me the difference back. I am still looking for a good airfare in the summer. Anyone have any good ideas?

Mentioned in this post
Roissy-en-France, France
detroit,michigan
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Just booked our airline tickets...

Thanks Codyody : I was wondering when I should book our tickets for trip in 2006. Now I know to shop tickets the same way I shop all of my big ticket puchases. Catch a good deal. I am as excited as a cat on a hot tin roof, however, I find coming to the forums reading the journals, and sharing research data is part of the adventure, so I am enjoying the entire process. And instead (for those of us who have to wait) of thinking in days (too long) I am thinking in terms of seasons, meaNing with the advent of Spring I have only four more seasons to go. Egads !