We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can I purchase the roasted chickens and potatoes?

Debary
Level Contributor
988 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Where can I purchase the roasted chickens and potatoes?

A crazy question, for sure, but I saw the Paula Deen show where she was in Paris (that was a hoot!), and she was at an outdoor market where they had wonderful roast chickens and potatoes for take-away. We'll be staying in an apt. on rue de la Harpe in March, and would like to get something like that to bring back for dinner one evening. Is it fairly standard, or only available in a few places?

Also, any recommendations for groceries, bakeries, etc. in that area? Thanks.

Level Contributor
590 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can I purchase the roasted chickens and potatoes?

You can go to Rue Mouffatard (spellling?) or Rue de Bac for roast chickens and potatoes.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,942 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can I purchase the roasted chickens and potatoes?

Most delis and butcher shops have poulet roti whirling away in an oven rolled out onto the sidewalk -- just follow your nose!

the same with bakeries -- look for the one with the lines...it will have the best bread.

Level Contributor
3,493 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can I purchase the roasted chickens and potatoes?

From your hotel just go up to the Blvd. St. Germain, take a left and you will get to Place Maubert in 2 - 3 minutes. There's a little meat market there that sells rotisserie chickens. There's also a cheese shop, a wine shop, a charcuterie, a bakery. It's a great little place.

Les

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can I purchase the roasted chickens and potatoes?

What Les says! All rotisserie chicken is not created equal but if I am thinking of the same place Les is theirs is pretty good. (Sadly I don't recall the exact location on place Maubert. It's been a while since I hung out in that area...)

As long as you are there find the Kayser boulangerie on rue Monge for a great loaf of bread. That, your chicken, some fruit and a bottle of Côtes du Rhône (or whatver you fancy) and you will dine far too well for far too little!

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where can I purchase the roasted chickens and potatoes?

You can also have roast chickens and potatoes in Rue de Lévis in the 17th.

The trick with the potatoes is that they lie at the bottom of the "machine" where the chickens rotate on skewers. As the chickens get roasted all the fat and gravy will drip down on the potatoes, making them really tasty (though probably not entirely calorie-free........)

Debary
Level Contributor
988 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where can I purchase the roasted chickens and potatoes?

Great suggestions, I'm printing them out now! This is exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks to all.

Chicago suburbs
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where can I purchase the roasted chickens and potatoes?

I believe the market that Paula Deen was at was the Bastille Market on rue Richard Lenoir. You can find information regarding that market, I'm sure, on a search or Google. When in Paris this past summer, we went to that market on Sunday. May also be held on other days during the week.

I agree -- Paula Deen in Paris was a hoot! I've watched it twice now and loved her excitement about being in Paris the first time.! I also loved her excitement over ALL the food things she was tasting!

joy/luvparee

aw7
Chicago
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Where can I purchase the roasted chickens and potatoes?

Yes...I stayed near the place Les mentioned. It's great. There is a small take away place that had the best pain au chocolat (i prefered their pain au chocolat instead Keyer's...although the breads there are great).

I very much enjoyed the Paula Deen special although she made me cringe a few times by the way she americanized the language.

I was in La Maison du Chocolat and told one of the employees that I thought I saw him on her special. He didn't remember but said it could have been him since many people film in the shop. I saw the show again when I got back and it wasn't him. : /

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where can I purchase the roasted chickens and potatoes?

With all the great food to love in Paris, our first and last meals were roasted chicken and mashed potatoes. The best was at the Brasserie Lutetia on rue de Sevres in the 6th. It wasn't partucularly inexpensive but they serve it in a brass baker with a sprig of thyme and it looked, smelled and tasted divine!

UK
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where can I purchase the roasted chickens and potatoes?

The best street for food shopping in the area is rue Mouffetard - you will find boucheries selling roast chickens and potatoes there but also a great choice of boulangeries, fromageries, caves de vins etc..

Also visit Place Monge on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays for the food market where you will find an excellent choice of fresh vegetables, meat and fish as well as prepared dishes including those lovely roast chickens.