We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which arrisdonment to stay in Paris? :)

Warrnambool
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which arrisdonment to stay in Paris? :)

Hi,

I am planning a week in Paris over June/July 2017, and wondering where abouts we should stay?

Traveling with children, so am looking at airbnb to rent an apartment, and looking for a safe neighbourhood, with access to a metro line that will get us to the major landmarks..

Are there any areas to avoid as well?

Thank you!! Beth :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which arrisdonment to stay in Paris? :)

The same question is asked on these forums at least once a week. Have you looked through past posts? Long story short, there is no one 'best' area to stay in Paris as the key sites are scattered across the city, all arrondissements are safe, and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a metro station.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,566 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which arrisdonment to stay in Paris? :)

Stay in the 5th or 6th not far from the Luxembourg Gardens.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,167 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which arrisdonment to stay in Paris? :)

Paris is roughly 6 miles in diameter. There are 14 metro lines, 2 of them with branches, with several hundreds city bus lines ...

I second staying in the 5th or 6th arrondissements.

Warrnambool
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Which arrisdonment to stay in Paris? :)

Thank you!! I'll start with the 5th & 6th and go from there..

Paris, France
Level Contributor
60 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which arrisdonment to stay in Paris? :)

Hi,

the 5th and the 6th are indeed central locations but are also the most expensive.

You can also look at more resiential areas, with restaurants that are not tourist traps. Look at the 11th or 12th for example, areas like "voltaire, Faidherbes, Bercy" it doens't sound as sexy as other part of paris but you consider it...

you can find a metro station every 500 meters or so... in less than 45 minutes you can cross the whole city.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which arrisdonment to stay in Paris? :)

The 5th and 6th are very nice, but the one I really like is the 4th (Marais), especially near the St. Paul metro stop on the Metro line 1, which crosses the middle of the city and intersects many lines, including the hub at Chatelet.

AirBnb has a great guide to Paris neighborhoods:

https://www.airbnb.com/locations/paris

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7,397 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which arrisdonment to stay in Paris? :)

How old are your kiddies?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
10,686 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which arrisdonment to stay in Paris? :)

Regardless of age of kiddies, 4 5 or 6 district

And read the million replies on this topic this year

And on the airbnb risk

(note re age : and are traveling with primary school aged kids)

Edited: 4:44 am, April 27, 2016
Paris, France
Level Contributor
159 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Which arrisdonment to stay in Paris? :)

I agree that you'll probably like the 6th around Jardin de Luxembourg or the 5th. Another interesting area for "safe with children" is the 17th around Place des Ternes or Metro:Courcelles. This area offers good value for money and is a very upscale residential area with street markets on certain days (for food) and the big Parc Monceau that kids will love. It's within walking distance of the Champs Elysees, but totally removed from the masses. Farther out in the 17th around Metro:La Fourche, for example, is probably not what you're looking for. so stay close to the 8th.

The Airbnb map is OK in some ways, but it makes up its own neighborhood games which makes it less useful. Look at www.parisnet.com/parismap.html for a map with the major points of interest by neighborhood

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,692 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which arrisdonment to stay in Paris? :)

I stayed in arr. 3 because I really like Le Marais and many places are within walking distance, if you're a walker, including Notre Dame, the Louvre, Arc de Triomphe, Champs-Elysees, etc. And Paris has great subway system, which makes it easy to reach another part of town.