We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orange Holiday

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
17 helpful votes
Orange Holiday

Hi

Tried the search forum but could not find any info on this on this

Anyone use this yet.....SOUNDS GOOD!!!!

Orange Holiday Mobile Phone Plans: Two Weeks for 40 Euros

The Orange Holiday Sim cards give you access to a prepaid plan good for two weeks.

For 39.99 Euros, you get:

a French phone number

120 minutes to call from Europe to the U.S. (and any other country in the world)

1000 texts, from Europe to any country

1GB of mobile internet in Europe

Free access to Orange wifi hotspots

An option to purchase a top-off card

Thanks

250 replies to this topic
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
6,090 posts
26 reviews
68 helpful votes
1. Re: Orange Holiday

…orange.fr/shop/…mobicarte_holiday.html

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,780 posts
34 reviews
29 helpful votes
2. Re: Orange Holiday

It's quite good value if you need to call back to your home country a lot while you are out and about.

If your calls can wait until you are back at the hotel on wifi and can use Skype or Viber then a normal domestic market SIM is better value for money.

Greenwich Village...
Level Contributor
4,772 posts
35 reviews
21 helpful votes
3. Re: Orange Holiday

yes, I have one of these Orange "holiday" SIM cards in an unlocked iPhone 4S and I am quite happy with it.

I prefer to have a local French phone number when I am over there; much more convenient for confirming restaurant reservations or for my local friends & family to contact me (instead of my USA mobile number). Also found it very liberating for me to have internet access even when no wifi available, since lately it seems all my French friends use Facebook Messenger or Text Messages to communicate and it got complicated for me when we had to change meet-up details at the last minute when I rarely had wifi access when I was outside.

Previously, for many years, I was using a very cheap pay-as-you-go European SIM in an old non-smart phone for just phone calls & text messages when outside the US; but it was a VOIP-based provider which didn't always indicate my number as the call back, so often the people I was calling or texting had no idea it was from my phone and responses went astray as well. (big nuisance)

I had been waiting to upgrade to a new iPhone in the US before getting the old iphone unlocked and then buying this Orange pre-paid SIM; and finally did it on my most recent visit to Paris a few weeks ago. I just took my old now-unlocked iPhone 4S to an Orange boutique, where they installed and set up the new SIM for me in just a few minutes, and I was on my way. The cost (39.99 Euros) was about the same as it would have cost me to buy a 30-day international plan from my US provider (AT&T) but actually gave me more data, and then there was no further cost to me for use of the phone, whereas the international plans would have reduced but not eliminated charges for calls made on my US cell phone. (I do use FaceTime for free international calls when I have wifi access--eg in hotel, or at homes of family & friends. But these days I have become accustomed to being able to communicate when I am out and about; spoiled, I suppose.)

Orange also assured me I can keep the same French mobile number as long as I add a top-up every 6 months, which is not a problem for me since I am in Paris every few months. And the top-up can be for less than the initial 39.99 Euro cost of the SIM, so I will figure out on each future trip how much to add, might get by with only 10 or 20 Euros since I can always add more when there.

Very very pleased with new arrangement, worked just perfectly for my needs -- which may not be the same as other people's needs of course. The amount of phone, text, and data included in the initial purchase of the Orange SIM is only good for 2 weeks; so if you plan to be there longer than 2 weeks on a particular trip, you would need to top-up while there or explore other options. But my (frequent) visits are normally no more than 2 weeks at a time, so this does work perfectly for me. Since it is all pre-paid, there are no unpleasant surprises later when a phone bill arrives.

[One tip it took me a day or two to figure out: the SIM also comes with unlimited access to local Orange wifi hotspots. However, I noticed that my phone battery was suddenly draining extremely quickly, and realized that was because of the constant search for Orange wifi hotspots. Since the 1GB of data that came with the Orange SIM was more than sufficient for my needs over a two week period, I just turned off the wifi on that phone's settings. That solved the battery drain issue on that phone immediately; and I just used my US iphone (with data turned off) where wifi was available. Obviously, other folks may choose to use the included free Orange wifi hotspots, or otherwise tweak their own phone settings to suit themselves.]

Edited: 11:14 am, November 11, 2015
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
17 helpful votes
4. Re: Orange Holiday

Thanks ...that answered a lot that I had on my mind AND truly informative and helpful....Orange Holiday it is !!!

Greenwich Village...
Level Contributor
4,772 posts
35 reviews
21 helpful votes
5. Re: Orange Holiday

By the way, the Orange Boutique where I purchased my SIM is the one at 36 Ave la motte picquet in the 7e arrondissment, just west of rue Cler. They have a big sign up in the window for the "Holiday" SIM, so will know exactly what you're asking for. They replaced the old SIM with the new Orange SIM into my phone right in front of me (returned old SIM to me), activated it, gave me my new French phone number, and answered any questions. After they had activated, I just sat down in the store for a few minutes and played with it myself to be sure everything was working properly (it was) & I still had access to all the contacts & e-mails, etc. that had previously been on the phone, etc. (everything just fine), and I was on my way. The whole process took no more than 10 minutes. You will be asked to show a government-issued ID (doesn't matter from which country, but they do need to see ID); I had brought my passport with me.

The gentlemen who helped me spoke excellent English, by the way, although I speak French so it was not an issue for me. (I'm sure they are accustomed to dealing with tourists and expats in that neighborhood.) I had been a bit dubious about it beforehand, but it was such an easy and perfect solution for me. I'm very happy I got it. (By the way, when I got back to the US I still had a couple of days worth of usage left on the 2-week initial SIM credit, so out of curiosity I turned the phone on and it worked just fine -- went right on to the US T-mobile network in Florida! I had no need to use it once back in the US, but interesting that it does seem to work outside the countries listed on the Orange website, probably just uses up the remaining credit faster than when in France, but still good to know for anyone who might want to also use elsewhere.)

I am assuming there will be no issues topping it off and keeping same French mobile number when I return to Paris again in a few months. If there are any problems then, I'll come back and update my experience here.....

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,780 posts
34 reviews
29 helpful votes
6. Re: Orange Holiday

The Holiday is just Orange's normal prepaid Mobicarte SIM with 2 hours international calling bolted on and only 2 weeks until you have to top up instead of 4.

In Europe you don't pay anything to receive international calls/texts, only to make them. So unless you need that 2 hours of outgoing calls to back home, the normal Orange Mobicarte with a 30 euro/1 month plan will let you receive international calls, make local calls and use email and Facebook/internet for much less than the Holiday.

Edited: 4:38 pm, November 12, 2015
Greenwich Village...
Level Contributor
4,772 posts
35 reviews
21 helpful votes
7. Re: Orange Holiday

Well, on my next trip I'll have a chat with the folks in the Orange boutique to see which current option works out better for me, but since most of my visits in Paris are only 2 weeks or less, right now the international calls & texts included in the "Holiday" SIM package made more sense for me than the extra 2 weeks of a regular Mobicarte (which would have been completely wasted). And they did tell me that in future I can top up for less than the cost of the original SIM, so it's not going to cost me as much on each future visit as the initial 39.99 Euro purchase price.

As I mentioned before, I'm not suggesting that the Orange "Holiday" SIM is the best option for everyone; I'm sure there are quite a few better options for those who are there longer than 2 weeks at a time. But it was the best option for me & I wanted to let the original poster know that obtaining & using it was exactly as easy as advertised.

8. Re: Orange Holiday

I have been doing some research - I will be in France for 9 days, a few days in Germany and a few days inAmsterdam. So, this 14 day card will be perfect for me. I had been doing some research, and I was planning on getting this SIM card for my phone... I am so glad to hear that this worked out great for you.

And, to top it off, I will be staying right across the street from that store you got your card from (I looked on Google maps to see what my hotel looks like, and I saw this orange logo on a store across the street, and I see it's the Orange store you mentioned!).

I appreciate you sharing this info! Thanks again!

Greenwich Village...
Level Contributor
4,772 posts
35 reviews
21 helpful votes
9. Re: Orange Holiday

Claire, be sure to bring your passport (or other government issued ID) with you when you go to the Orange boutique for the SIM card, since they do need to see it.

Also be sure your phone is unlocked by your home carrier before you arrive in Paris, if you haven't already done so.

Have a great trip.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
28 posts
10. Re: Orange Holiday

Is it possible to top up once we first activated to get more than 14 days.

Reply to: Orange Holiday
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted