We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How expensive??

perth
Level Contributor
700 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
How expensive??

Hi There,

My Husband and I are looking to stay in Paris for 4 nights next may and are wondering just how expensive it would be so we can budget! How much for a 3 course meal for two with drinks? How much is a pint of beer or glass of wine? Are there cheap restaurants to eat in or all expensive? We really dont know how much money we would need to budget for each day. We would be having breakfast in the hotel and then a light lunch (Sandwich or something) then a meal out in the evening. We are not bothered about going to fancy places just good food!!

Thankyou for ANY hints/tips/advice in advance! x

Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from $109.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from $300.40*
$333.80
USA
Level Contributor
28,636 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How expensive??

Paris is a city that some 10-12 million people either live or work in, visit or pass through every day. With this many people, on this many '..budgets..' there is something to suit every one. Two people can have a 3-course meal with a carafe of house wine in Paris for as little as 25-30 € or as much as 2,500-3,3000 €.with 'grand cru'. There are a great many restaurants, bistros and cafés that will serve conventional 3-course prix fixe meals in the 20-40 € per person range. You can pay a few € for a glass of wine or beer at a neighborhood café and a four or five times more for the same wine or beer at a 'grand café'. Most Paris restaurants have their daily menus posted prominently somewhere out front. You can check these to see if they fit your budget range and tastes, poke your head in to see what sort of ambience the place has.....then move on to the next. After seeing a few, you can decide which seems to suit best and return to the one that appeals most. More personal '..great restaurants.." have been '..discovered..' in this way than any other.

If cost savings is high on your priorities list, then you're usually better off breakfasting out (unless the hotel is offering some sort of 'promotional' rate deal) at local cafés, rather than taking breakfast at your hotel.

So the best advice you get is to begin doing some personal research....with your own personal preferences, priorities, tastes, expectations and BUDGET in mind. You could begin by going out and buying a good Paris guide book....and scrolling back through the archived posts to forums such as this to begin to develop a '..sense..' of what's available, where, for how much.

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How expensive??

There are of course differently priced restaurants, the locals have to eat too and I can't see many people wanting to shell out 200 euros every time they want a bite to eat!!

How long is a piece of string? You can basically spend however much you want, location is also a big factor in determining price too, the closer to tourist hotspots you are the more expensive things seem to be. Think of a similar amount that you would budget for 4 days in London and you won't be far wrong, some things are cheaper and some are more expensive but overall you'll probably spend a similar amount.

Paris
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How expensive??

"Think of a similar amount that you would budget for 4 days in London" ... subtract 40 %, you should get a ball park figure of what a 4 day stay in Paris should cost you. Basically, what is worth €10 in Paris will cost you £10 in London. And the current exchange rate is €1.47 to a pound. Having said that, I don' t know whether referring to London prices will be of any help to our Australian friends...

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How expensive??

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k86581…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k87352…

Hi Scots - here are two previous threads about this subject. I would say not under 60-70 euro pr. person pr. day (incl. food, drink, snacks, transport, entrance fees, postcards)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,810 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How expensive??

<<Having said that, I don' t know whether referring to London prices will be of any help to our Australian friends...>>

My guess is that "Scots Thistle" is from Perth in Scotland, after which Perth in Western Australia is named, so sterling is probably a good choice of currency to compare with the Euro.

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,375 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How expensive??

I would dare suggesting 10 euros per person for lunch and 20-25 for dinner if you want to stay away from very expensive places. And I know some will say I am too low, others will say you can cut on these prices. Remember desserts are expensive, so if you are into sweets at dinner time prepare yourself for an eay 6 euro per dessert.

Eindhoven...
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How expensive??

French restaurants are required by law to display all their prices prominently, so you won't have any problem comparing. As already said, the prices range from cheap to extravagant. It is almost always cheaper to have lunch at a restaurant than dinner, so you might have a 'baguette' or something similar in he evening.

If you're really on a budget - all restaurants must, when asked, serve free tap water with their meals; they tend to suggest mineral water instead (which is not free) but you can insist and ask for a "carafe d'eau". In theory, they can charge you for tap water, but only when it is clearly indicated, and I've never seen that.

Note that some hotels charge extra for breakfast; some people prefer to take their breakfast in a café.

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How expensive??

<<"Think of a similar amount that you would budget for 4 days in London" ... subtract 40 %, you should get a ball park figure of what a 4 day stay in Paris should cost you. Basically, what is worth €10 in Paris will cost you £10 in London. And the current exchange rate is €1.47 to a pound.>>

Not for everything, having a drink in a Parisian bar is generally much more than in a London equivalent and touring museums/galleries in Paris is much more as many London museums are free. Transport is less in Paris and food is a bit cheaper for same quality but overall I think the two cities are similar in price.

I also assumed that the questioner was from Perth in Scotland. If I was wrong I apologise.

perth
Level Contributor
700 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How expensive??

Thankyou all so much for your help! I am from Perth in Scotland! Sorry i should of mentioned that when I posted my question!!!!!!!

Thankyou again x

Paris
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How expensive??

Sorry, Scots, your name was self explanatory, I should have guessed! Now, back to the grind:

"Not for everything, having a drink in a Parisian bar is generally much more than in a London equivalent and touring museums/galleries in Paris is much more as many London museums are free. Transport is less in Paris and food is a bit cheaper for same quality but overall I think the two cities are similar in price"

Well, I lived for four years in London a few years ago and when you are back in Paris, you feel like you are in the normal world again pricewise! The cities are definitely not "similar in price".

The food is more, more than "a bit cheaper" (and I am not talking quality here). Try to get a decent dinner in London for €25 (£17) with wine and all!

Transport is less. Indeed: a weekly tube pass is £22 (€33) for zones 1 & 2; in Paris: € 16. Just twice as cheap. Again I am not taking the quality in service into account.

Many London museums are free. True, but so are "many" Paris ones - all the city of Paris museums, that's Carnavalet, Petit Palais, Cernuschi, etc.

A drink in a bar: maybe by the pint you would gain a euro or two, but that's hardly the chunk of your holiday expenses, is it?