We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jambon Frommage Sandwich

aw7
Chicago
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Jambon Frommage Sandwich

I'm trying to re-create (not perfect but as close as possible) the amazing Ham/cheese sandwiches I had in Paris.

I found imported French butter, good ham, am making homemade baguettes.....but what type of cheese is generally on the sandwiches?

paris
Level Contributor
638 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jambon Frommage Sandwich

Gruyère

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jambon Frommage Sandwich

If you live near a Trader Joe's or Whole Food, and they have Comte, try it. It's a kind of gruyere. It's a little out of season but it's fabulous on a croque monsieur.

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,954 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jambon Frommage Sandwich

yes: gruyère...

...with some lettuce? :p

Wilmette,IL
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jambon Frommage Sandwich

Some recipes will not only use the gruyere inside the sandwich, but will also make a white sauce, spread on top of one side of made sandwich and sprinkle that with grated gruyere, then saute both sides. Simply delicious.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,589 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jambon Frommage Sandwich

Here's one recipe for it with the extra sauce on top-called "the ultimate croque" YUM!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,589 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jambon Frommage Sandwich

Sorry- got so excited I forgot to paste the link!

…about.com/od/frenchwines/r/cmbechamel.htm

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jambon Frommage Sandwich

I would add just a very thin (as it has a strong taste) spread of Dijon mustard, and some thin slices of cornichons (the small pickled cucumbers that are in saltwater/vinegar).

8. Re: Jambon Frommage Sandwich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, August 18, 2009