We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving in France

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
colorado
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
driving in France

I plan to drive from Paris to Normandy thru Rouen and on to the D-day beaches.

Is it easy to get around by car and what is the price of Gas in France.

Bea
Sarasota, Fl
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: driving in France

Katheryn,

Have driven out to Normandy thru Rouen a couple of times and have taken the train to Deauville/ Trouville. And yes the train is great but not cheap and not easy to get to see the D Day beaches. I would highly recommend a car to wander along the coast and Rouen is just a little way off the highway on your way. So much better to see what you want to see....and there is a great deal to see along the Normandy coast. It is easy to get around once out of Paris and the highways work very much as ours do. We take the perferefie (spelling?) out to the west side of Paris then just follow the signs....easy once out of Paris. The cities are busy and traffic can be lousy........but not worse than our cities and I dont think that much faster. Once you get to the Normandy coast there are museums and interesting things to see. Just follow the water south. Their highways are excellent and yes tolls can be expensive, though I dont remember many (or any) from Paris to the coast.

Gas is per litter, not by the gallon and is expensive....sounded as if maybe the previous quote was for a liter..........Last time we had a really nice, solid, fourdoor, VW diesel (cheaper than regular)and it was great on gas. On the highways gas stations are much as ours are, but in towns and cities they may only be a couple of pumps along the street, but you will figure that out easily enough. Try not to be empty on Sundays, sometimes a problem finding a station opened.

In my opinion the easiest and best way to see the D Day beaches is by car and while you are there you will love the wonderful towns and great eating! The cemeteries close fairly early...maybe 5 or so...and I think there was an entrance fee??? But they are well worth a visit. Bring a few tissues and go ahead and cry for all the young men left there so many years ago.

Enjoy,

Bea