We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is the best/most central area to stay in?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
west yorkshire
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which is the best/most central area to stay in?

Coming to Paris in November. Have booked flights, now looking for a decent hotel. A web search reveals hundreds of hotels. Having never been to Paris before please can someone advise me which is the best area to stay in and / or which is the most central area to stay in for all the attractions and famous sights (ie walking distances).

Durham. UK
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is the best/most central area to stay in?

You'll find everyone has their own favourites but we loved the Marais. Check it out on www.parismarais.com

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is the best/most central area to stay in?

I agree that each area has its own charm and that you will find lots to see and do throughout the city. We have found the area near the Invalides (7th ?)a good one for walking access to major sites. There are good restaurants and shops near by and it is an active area. You are within about a half hour walking distance for almost all the monuments and the Metro is also easy for other areas. We have found that it is good to be somewhat near to the Seine - you can always find your way to and from places.

Hope this helps

jhgrady

Lund, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is the best/most central area to stay in?

jad86

Paris is very compact and has alot of center so to speak. So I think the best thing you can do is to search around on the net and read about the diffrent district to find your favourite one. Personally I really lika Marais (arr 3 and 4) cause I like small and cute and some people like big boulevards like the Champs E, personally one of the most uncharming and ugly places in Paris if you ask me, but ohh I know many that would disagree, so look it up and decide by yourself, cause opinions differ alot...

Lund, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is the best/most central area to stay in?

Btw who are you traveling with, and what is your main purpose of the trip? Thats good questions to ask when to find out where to stay, but also, the metro and bus system is great and famous buildings and areas so spread so its not extremly important where you stay.

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is the best/most central area to stay in?

4,5,6 are very popular. That said, even these have fringe areas further removed, and for some that is more of a "local" feel. Some areas of the 1st & 7th would be better than those more removed locations if you want central. If you want to be in the hub of tourism, just stay closer to the Seine.

To be central, you basically need to be in a single digit location, closer to the Seine than removed. Once you pinpoint a few locations, read the reviews here of the hotels in those areas. You will not be in your room much, but minimum you will want is clean and comfortable, luxury level depending on pocketbook. Expedia also has good maps showing the hotels in each area; very helpful to pinpoint location.

I think the best for walking would be the:

6th by St Germain where you will be in the middle of d'Orsay (7), Louvre(1), Latin Quarter(5), Notre Dame(4), etc.

1st by Rue de Rivoli area by Tuileries & the Louvre, where you can also walk up the Champs Elysees, the Opera, Palais-Royal, dept stores, and easily cross over to the LQ(5) or 7th ARR.

7th by La Tour Maubourg & Invalides; close to Rue Cler, D'Orsay, Eiffel Tower, and the Tuileries(1), Arc de Triomphe(8).

If you want constant activity, then the Latin Quarter(5) is the place for you. The 4th is also a vibrant neighborhood.

Keep in mind that we all have our own personal preferences, and you will get many opinions, but I would avoid all other areas on a first trip.

T

west yorkshire
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which is the best/most central area to stay in?

thank you everyone for your suggestions. i am travelling with my partner to do some sightseeing. All other suggestions welcome.

Lund, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which is the best/most central area to stay in?

So romantic and close to most things then I guess=) I would maybe go for something around the Saine then so look up 1, 4, 5, 6 and west parts of 7th arr. Personally I really like Marais (3 and 4) as I said before, I think its very romantic and cute!

How old are you?

Level Contributor
701 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which is the best/most central area to stay in?

The 2nd, 4th or 6th get rave reviews from visitors I've taken there. They often say, "Gee, I wish I were staying here." This is especially true in the 6th.

singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which is the best/most central area to stay in?

all these districts and numers r confusing me...

can i get any accessible hotel for 50-75 euros/night? small & clean is good enough.

10. Re: Which is the best/most central area to stay in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:11 pm, April 06, 2007