We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RER or RoissyBus or AirFrance bus?

California
Level Contributor
108 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
RER or RoissyBus or AirFrance bus?

We are planning to take either RER or a bus (either Roissy or AirFrance bus) from CDG airport to our hotel.

Could someone advise which mode of transportation would be better for people with luggage?

We do not have oversized suitcases, but we are still concerned that it might be an ordeal - to try to squeeze in a bus with crowds of other people with luggage and all.

Which bus is more comfortable (meaning - more spacious) for people with luggage - Roissy or AirFrance? Or RER is better in this respect?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,579 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RER or RoissyBus or AirFrance bus?

Well, in my experience , the Air France Bus is great for those with luggage, because they put it under the bus and you don't deal with it till you disembark, but the bus itself only goes to very limited stops- the one we were onestopped at one other stop and then near the Arc where we were able to taxi very inexpensively to our hotel near the Opera. You might check and see how close it comes to where you are going. There is an additional AF bus in another direction , but I don't know where it stops, We found it very preferable to lugging suitcaeses up and down Metro station stairs, but only because it le tout near our hotel.

California
Level Contributor
108 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RER or RoissyBus or AirFrance bus?

thank you, Lulutoo.

we'll be travelling in the direction you were travelling (towards Opera). Do you by any chance remember if the bus has a number? (to distinguish it from AirFrance bus that gooes in the opposite direction). Also - how much (approximately) is the cost of ticket? (I heard that Roissy bus costs around 9 euros, I wonder if it's comparable).

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,579 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RER or RoissyBus or AirFrance bus?

I'll look for the site for you- I think it was more than that but not by much- and much more pleasant than lugging suitcases. They stop at a taxi stand near the Arc and taxis are lined up waiting.

I'll repost when I find teh info for you.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,579 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RER or RoissyBus or AirFrance bus?

This is the bus you need- to the second stop ( with a transfer to a taxi when you get out at the final stop)- Looks to be 12 E pp !

Visit the Air France Website which has more info

Charles de Gaulle: Air France has two lines running from Charles de Gaulle into Paris. The first line runs every fifteen minutes and has two stops, Place de l'Etoile or Porte Maillot and it departs from Charles de Gaulle terminal 1 & 2 (i.e. not terminal 3 which is primarily for charters and low-cost carriers like EasyJet) between 5:45AM and 11PM.

Price:

Charles de Gaulle: Air France bus: 12€/person RATP bus: 8€40/person

Orly: Air France bus: 8€00/person RATP bus: 8€00/person

Beauvais: RyanAir bus: 10€/person

Verdict: The airport bus can be a good economical option for the budget minded traveler who has more luggage than can be comfortably carried on the Metro or for those who prefer the additional security and comfort offered by the bus. However, if your destination/point of departure is not in close proximity to one of the bus stops, for those traveling in groups of two or more the bus may turn out being just as expensive as a taxi . If you don't have private transportation, in order to get to and from the bus station in Paris, you must take another bus, taxi or Metro. All in all, in order to get to and from the bus station, you should count on an additional fee of 8€ - 15€ if you take a taxi (see details on taxis below), and about 1€40/person to take the bus or Metro inside the city limits.

More Information: RATP website, Air France website

California
Level Contributor
108 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RER or RoissyBus or AirFrance bus?

thank you so much - it is very helpful!

Paris
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RER or RoissyBus or AirFrance bus?

The answer to your question really depends on where your hotel is. If it is within walking distance of Opera, it would be more logical to take the Roissybus which goes directly to Opera.

ratp.info/informer/…

California
Level Contributor
108 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RER or RoissyBus or AirFrance bus?

the hotel is in between the metro stations Madeleine and St. Augustin. I don't think it's right next to the Opera, but I think it's not too far, or is it?

Mentioned in this post
Madeleine
Madeleine
146 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RER or RoissyBus or AirFrance bus?

Its not too far no. About a 5 minute walk to Madeline from Opera without luggage. I will say that the Air France Bus is a nicer bus but you are adding a taxi ride. The Roissybus is a standard city bus and you keep your luggage with you. If you can manage your luggage for a few blocks I would consider the Roissybus just for ease of not having to deal with a taxi. I dont suspect the Roissybus to be over flowing with people but if maxium comfort is top priorty then the Air France bus wins. Heres a picture of the Roissybus and Air France bus:

busparisiens.free.fr/agol_roissybus.jpg

discoverfrance.net/France/…car_air_france.jpg

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: RER or RoissyBus or AirFrance bus?

Just to add a little bit of information, the round-trip fares on the Air France coach are 18€ from/to CDG, 12€ from/to ORY. Also, not that it is perhaps relevant in this case, children under 12 travel for half fare on both the Air France coaches and the Roissybus.

Incidentally the fare from BVA to Porte Maillot on the Ryanair shuttle is 13€ — if it hasn't gone up in the last couple of months, that is.

Peoria, IL
Level Contributor
500 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RER or RoissyBus or AirFrance bus?

Check out the following website for schedules and prices on the Air France bus.

http://www.cars-airfrance.com/

Last time we went to Paris, we took the Air France bus to Montparnasse from CDG, and it was very convenient. Just walk out to the buses, and pay the bus driver. It made one stop at Gare de Lyon and then stopped near the Gare Montparnasse, across from Hotel Le Meridien Montparnasse. It was about a 5 minute walk to Gare Montparnasse to catch a taxi to our hotel. Since we were in the 6th, it was a very short taxi ride.

Sandy

Mentioned in this post
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France