We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bonjour - One Day in Paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
103 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Bonjour - One Day in Paris

I have waited my entire life to come to Paris and am truly grateful for this one day. We are on a British Isles cruise and have transportation from Le Havre and a brief city tour on our bus with about 4 hours on our own. The Seine River cruise one our Celebrity Cruise is sold out which saddened me because it appeared to have good reviews. Giverny and Rouen excursions sold out as well. I hope to return to Paris and will be content to sit in a cafe with a glass of wine and know I am there. It will be Tuesday and the Louvre is closed. Any recommendations, my TA friends, to make this a day to remember? Merci beaucoup!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bonjour - One Day in Paris

Well, if you want to see a major museum, the Orsay is open on Tuesday.

Frankly, just walking around the city will give you enough motivation for your next trip.

Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
103 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bonjour - One Day in Paris

If you only had one day - what would you do???

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bonjour - One Day in Paris

Difficult for me to reply, because I have lived in Paris for 41 years.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bonjour - One Day in Paris

Can't you just go on a Seine River cruise on your own?

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,495 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bonjour - One Day in Paris

What about using the Hop on Hop off bus? For the time that you have you may only be able to hop off once so maybe have some collaboration as you buy the ticket about your best single choice. Have fun.

Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
103 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bonjour - One Day in Paris

Just located Bateaux Parisiens and will explore that further. Wondering if it is necessary to purchase tickets in advance for a Tuesday in May? Thank you!

Level Contributor
7,882 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bonjour - One Day in Paris

Yes...you are LUCKY that the cruise is sold out from the cruise ship...you just goggle the info...I believe there are two companies ...get to the starting point...buy a ticket and go on the cruise. It is a beautiful way to see Paris if the weather is nice. And you will have time to wander on your own away from the cruise ship crowds.

Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
103 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bonjour - One Day in Paris

Thought about that too and foregoing seeing Paris through the windows of a cruise tour. The Hop on Hop off - at least you can be outside enjoying the spring. Think we need to do this on our own once we arrive - thanks you all!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bonjour - One Day in Paris

happywanderer, You don’t have one day; you only have 4 hours.

If it were me, I’d go to have a look at the Louvre from the outside. I’d stand at the Arc du Carrousel to marvel at how it lines up with the Arc de Triomphe and the Grande Arche (at la Défense). Then I’d sit in the Tuileries Gardens for a while.

I’d go to Notre Dame to see it from the outside, even if you don’t go in. Then I’d pick a café that looked appealing, sit and have a glass of wine and watch the bustle and activity of the city of Paris.

But that’s just me and like kerouac, I’ve lived here for ages.

Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
3,686 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bonjour - One Day in Paris

It does seem that your cruise + trip from Le Harve + bus tour of the city = quite a bit of sitting, at least more than I'd like. You haven't mentioned any physical mobility issues, but perhaps a walking tour with a café stop would be enjoyable. Personally, I would not spend the short time available inside a museum, especially for a first time visit.