We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help review my itinerary and suggest re bastille day

sydney
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Please help review my itinerary and suggest re bastille day

We are a family of 5. 2 adults and 3 teens coming to Paris for the first time as a family. We dont want to be overwhelmed but would like to see as much as possible and need some help with the planning. Please read my outline and give me feedback on how you think it could work better or what needs changing.

Arrive in the afternoon of 11th July. I have booked the Eiffel tower that evening. I was also thinking of doing a walking tour of the Marais that afternoon to help get our bearings.

Day 2 12th July

I have booked a tour of the Louvre and thought in the afternoon we could possibly do Champs Elysse and the arc de triumph, maybe a river cruise in the evening- any suggestions please xxx

Day 3 13th July

Notre Dame and Mont Marte, Sacre Couer, Moulin Rouge, Seine cruise

Day 4 14th July

which is the National holiday- am I crazy I am thinking of taking my teens to Euro disney??? Is it open ?? What else is good to do on the holiday?? I was hoping to be able to see the fireworks in the evening but I think the choice place Champ de Mars will need more time than I am prepared to give to secure a spot. Any other suggestions of where I can easily view the spectacular??

Day 5 15th July

A morning trip to Versaille followed by some free time/ shopping for my teen girls. Can anyone recommend a tour guide?

Thank you for your help

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
119,502 Reviews
Paris, France
France Louvre
France Louvre
296 Reviews
Paris, France
Moulin Rouge
Moulin Rouge
11,307 Reviews
Paris, France
Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help review my itinerary and suggest re bastille day

With so few days in Paris, I wouldn't schedule any day trips outside the city. I would drop both Versailles and Disney. If Versailles is a life long dream to see, go to it on July 14. They used to have a "white picnic" in the garden by the canal, although they cancelled it last year. Still it's open and July 14 is probably a very appropriate day to tour the chateau. Versailles will take more than just a morning - it will take the bulk of an entire day and you will be pretty tired by the time you get back to Paris. A shopping trip after that is probably unrealistic.

You haven't scheduled any time to soak in Paris, visit pastry shops and people watch in cafes. My favorite areas are the Latin Quarter and Saint Germain. Other people really love the Marais and its trendy shops.

The Champs Elysees is a big, boring strip mall. You probably will take one look at it and want to get away ASAP. I understand wanting to see this famous avenue (I know I did), but it's really just a shopping street with boring stores like Gap, Nike, Nespresso, H&M etc. It's very crowded, overpriced and the restaurants and cafes are particularly mediocre. But do wander the Tuileries gardens after the Louvre, then take the metro up to Etoile to see the Arc de Triomphe.

I ended up watching the fireworks on TV last year.

Visiting Galleries Lafayette is fun - they have a nice patio on the roof with a view of Paris.

Edited: 7:15 am, April 25, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Latin Quarter
Latin Quarter
3,782 Reviews
Paris, France
Hotel Saint Germain
Hotel Saint Germain
921 Reviews
Paris, France
Champs-Elysees
Champs-Elysees
17,336 Reviews
Paris, France
France Louvre
France Louvre
296 Reviews
Paris, France
Arc de Triomphe
Arc de Triomphe
37,484 Reviews
Paris, France
Hotel Paris Lafayette
Hotel Paris Lafayette
480 Reviews
Paris, France
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help review my itinerary and suggest re bastille day

I second everything TracieKnits says. Stay in Paris. Don't worry about the Fête Nationale (don't call it Bastille Day when you're in France); it won't hamper your activities much, and there's a good deal of festivity around the Champ de Mars and Trocadéro, plus the morning military parade.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Bastille Day
Bastille Day
25 Reviews
Paris, France
France
France
Europe
Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help review my itinerary and suggest re bastille day

Yup Tracie is quite on the spot.

I went to Paris for the 200 years of revolution (quite a few years ago I'm afraid) was young and excited and it was one of my worst experiences - overcrowded and if you haven't secured a good spot, you see nothing.

Went back once - found a spot in Champ de mars and it was reasonably ok, but still not the adventure of the century - better go to Versailles on that day, I agree.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
sydney
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help review my itinerary and suggest re bastille day

Thank you

I agree we need some down time. Im just trying to fit in as much as possible and keep everyone happy (hence Disneyland)

i will look at it all again. Also from what I can see Versaille is closed on Mondays? The 14th is a Monday. Would that be correct? In your opinion how crowded are the museums on Bastille day? I believe they are free? Is it best to stay away/ Thats why I thought Disneyland would be good, otherwise Versaille if open would be my number one preference.

Thank you so much for your advice I really appreciate it.

Sue

Mentioned in this post
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Bastille Day
Bastille Day
25 Reviews
Paris, France
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help review my itinerary and suggest re bastille day

Why do you need Disneyland to keep everyone happy? It's PARIS, after all, PARIS!!. Stay in Paris and watch the parade and go to Trocadéro to hang out with the holiday revelers. Or go to Versailles.

Mentioned in this post
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
6. Re: Please help review my itinerary and suggest re bastille day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 27, 2015