We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris car rental

4 posts
Save Topic
Paris car rental

Hi, I need an advice about car rental in Paris. I plan to rent a car in August from Paris to Blois. How bad is the traffic to get out of Paris on a Saturday morning in August and get back into Paris a week later. Any advice on car rental agencies. Thank you for your replies.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris car rental

I would take a train to Orleans or Tours, and rent a car from there.

Check viamichelin.com for driving directions, including costs for tolls and gas. We compared driving to Rennes versus taking the train there and picking up the car in Rennes. The train takes half the time of driving, and the gas and tolls cost more than 3 people's train fare.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,548 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris car rental

Getting out of Paris almost anytime is very easy. However, if the Saturday you are attempting to leave is August 2nd, this is the one day you will not want to attempt to drive anywhere as it is the beginning of the annual French vacation period. Roads and highways will be gridlocked. Trains will also be full and tickets will be expensive and relatively hard to come by unless you book in advance. The TER trains from Austerlitz to Blois are never sold out.

4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris car rental

Thank you for the answers. There will be 5 of us (4 adults + 1 child), so a car will probably be cheaper. I am thinking of leaving paris 2eme arrondissement to Blois on 9 Aug and coming back to Paris on 16 Aug. I'm hoping traffic will be okay on this date, what do you think? Any advice on car rental agencies, the prices seem to vary quite a lot.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,548 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris car rental

Suggestions on car rental firms, as with many other subjects, are often dependent upon your country of residence which you should add to your profile. Generally, you might want to check here:

www.autoeurope.com

Picking up a rental at an in town office can save you a 40€ location fee which is charged for airport/train station pickups. Exiting Paris is very easy, just proceed to the périphérique, the ring road around Paris, orbit to the A6 (Porte d´Orléans) exit on the southeast side of Paris and follow A6 to the A10 cutoff. Take A 10 to Blois.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,897 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris car rental

Linving Paris on the 9th should be ok but going back on the 16th you may encounter heavy traffic. Can you come back either on friday or monday ? If you can't i'd advise you to ride the TGV instead.

4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris car rental

Thank you all. Not booking from Gare du Nord has indeed saved me some money! The tip was greatly appreciated!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris car rental

If you are leaving Aug 9th, then I'd try to avoid leaving in the morning as traffic will be heavy. Coming back, traffic will be heavy Saturday evening, so I'd either aim to get back to Paris before 4pm (the earlier the better), or better still, arrive Friday or Monday as suggested. Do not try to come back on the Sunday.

Dallas, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris car rental

We need to also rent a car to go to the Loire Valley, can you tell me what agency you ended up using? thanks!

4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris car rental

Hi I booked from holiday autos on the internet but the car comes from Avis. You need to do a few price comparisons from several service providers first.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,509 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris car rental

Begin with the consolidator autoeurope-com, which handles rentals for a number of agencies. Once you've looked through the car categories and prices, call the company to discuss your actual reservation.