We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apperitif?

VALENCIA CALIFORNIA
Level Contributor
590 posts
Save Topic
Apperitif?

Is a Kir champagne with Cassis? I'd like to know what I'm ordering, I sure don't want a Ricard!!!!

Merci

Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,256 reviews
from $105.89*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower...
666 reviews
from $108.32*
hewlett ny
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Apperitif?

Kir with champagne and cassis is a Kir Royal.Without champagne is just a kir. Enjoy

USA
Level Contributor
28,180 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apperitif?

KIR is a still white wine with Creme de Cassis. KIR ROYAL is champagne with Creme de Cassis

Irish in Paris
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apperitif?

A lot of places will offer you something other than cassis now (peach or raspberry for example) but the classic and default mix is cassis.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
329 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Apperitif?

Sounds yummy! Any idea about how much does a Kir Royal costs?

Thank you!

paris, france
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Apperitif?

it depends on where you go, it can be 5 euros like 20. but if you go in a 'normal' cafe, well i would say it's around 7 euros.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
329 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Apperitif?

Thank you Alex!

Another "silly" question, are Kirs almost always served as apertif? Or do some people enjoy it with their meals? Also, if I have wine afterwards with my meal would the combination make me sick? Don't mean to be stupid but I am not a huge drinker so I am not sure what mixes will make me sick.

Kensington, MD...
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Apperitif?

I've never seen anyone having a kir with their meal. I don't think it would taste very good with most food and it would likely result in some very odd looks from the waiters! There is no problem mixing a kir with wine. And there's no problem mixing an after-dinner cognac or Calvados with the kir and the wine!

paris, france
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Apperitif?

i've never seen anyone having a kir while dining, alway as an aperitif before dining, in a cafes. and about wine we have an expression in france, white over red (wine), nothing moves, red over white, everything goes away, meaning when you drink red wine after white wine, well you will be more drunk lol. but i've always had wine at dinner and champagne in night club, and never had pb these are two white things.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
787 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Apperitif?

Yes Alex it reminds me of my mother saying:

Blanc sur rouge

Rien ne bouge

Rouge sur blanc

Tout fout le camp!

Since we are talking about apero, beside the classical Kir, what else is being fashionable theses days ?

VALENCIA CALIFORNIA
Level Contributor
590 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Apperitif?

Now what is a panacher (not sure of the spelling) Is that beer with creme de cassis in it?