We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying tickets online for Paris attractions

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
oakville
1 post
Save Topic
Buying tickets online for Paris attractions

My husband and I will be in Paris may31 till June 13th

Is it necessary to buy tickets ahead of time for the louvre, Versailles and napoleons tomb?

I have tried for the Eiffel tower but all the dates for online booking are full whe we are there so we are going to go to montparnasse tower instead.

Any suggestions would be helpful

P.s we are early risers

Tks

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,029 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying tickets online for Paris attractions

There is no compelling need to prepurchase tickets to the locations you mention. However, you may want to look at the Paris Museum Pass which has some advantages (line bypass) and covers the places you want to visit::

http://www.parismuseumpass.com/

Edited: 7:40 am, April 17, 2014
Florida
Level Contributor
17,099 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying tickets online for Paris attractions

I disagree about Versailles... it would definitely be a good idea to either have your tickets on hand or to use the very handy Paris Museum Pass (as above). You can buy Versailles tickets at the FNAC stores that have a 'billets' desk, or at the Paris Tourist Office, or even at the Versailles Tourist Office on your way from the RER to the Chateau...

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,445 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying tickets online for Paris attractions

To be the devil's advocate: We prebooked a Versailles tour and bought our tickets online. They were good for a specific date -- that date turned out to be absurdly hot, over 90 degrees Farenheit. It was miserable.

Next time, I will use a Paris Museum Pass and choose my visit date when I can be reasonably sure of the forecast.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying tickets online for Paris attractions

The Museum Pass may well be a good idea for you, depending on how many museums you want to see, but you have to do the math. And there is no reason to buy it online in advance. You have to go pick up the actual pass once there anyway.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying tickets online for Paris attractions

Not sure what you mean by "early risers", but not much gets going in Paris too early in the morning - except for the street cleaners and dog walkers...

Public transport begins at around 05h45, though, if you want to start heading out and walking around for a couple of hours. Paris is lovely and quiet in the early morning hours, especially walking along the upper quais of the Seine before the traffic starts. Pickpockets don't generally get started until mid-morning or so : )

Cafes start serving around 07h30, but attractions open around 09h30. Store hours vary - groceries generally open around 08h30, department stores at 09h30, small boutiques usually a little later than that.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,099 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying tickets online for Paris attractions

My husband likes to watch Paris "waking up" and it is also a great time for photographs.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,507 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying tickets online for Paris attractions

The d'Orsay and Versailles are places you should have tickets in hand to avoid huge lines (you still have the security line at Versailles, but you avoid the second long ticket line. You can get them at FNAC stores or on line and print your own. The Eiffel Tower can be visited by showing up and queuing if you missed the on line sales which do go instantly.

Most places have different lines for pass holders so if it is close to economical, it is a convenience. Having a pass also changes your attitude about visiting places. You can try places you might not bother with for long expensive visits as that quick nip in and look around is 'free' with the pass. On a first trip to Paris I think the convenience makes it a good idea.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
201 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying tickets online for Paris attractions

I purchased my Versailles tickets online the day before we actually went. There's an option to send the tickets in PDF format to your email account, so that's what I did. Once I opened the email on my phone, I was able to save the PDF in iBooks. At Versailles the next day, opened iBooks and the tickets were scanned by the ticket-taker. Easy-peasy.

For Napoleon's Tomb, we bought our tickets same day at the ticket office just to the left of the entrance. Our Louvre tickets were also purchased same day down in the Carousel level in a small shop off the main shopping hall. No lines.

Edited: 3:25 pm, April 17, 2014
9. Re: Buying tickets online for Paris attractions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 19, 2015