We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Picking up people from CDG via RER

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Springfield...
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Picking up people from CDG via RER

My in-laws are arriving at CDG a few hours after we check into our hotel in Paris, and they've asked me to meet them at the airport to help them make their way back to the hotel. Can I just get a one-way ticket and have them meet me at the platform in the RER station at CDG to avoid paying for another ticket?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,045 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Picking up people from CDG via RER

I don't think so. As you said yourself its one way ticket. Once you activate it on your way to CDG, you will need another one to return.

Not sure about that, but you might need to change platforms too.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,968 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Picking up people from CDG via RER

If you did that, you would be traveling with an invalid ticket. Fine is 30€, payable in cash on the spot and the last time I took the RER from CDG, there were inspectors everywhere. Further, your ticket would not allow you to make any transfers if any where required to reach your destination in central Paris.

It would be a lot easier, if not cheaper, to have your in-laws take a taxi directly to your hotel.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,151 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Picking up people from CDG via RER

If you want to save time you should buy the RER tickets for your in-laws so they don't have to stand in line for tickets at the airport. People report there can be long lines at the ticket machines in the airport. Plus, they won't have to worry about how to use the ticket machines, which is really easy but some first timers get confused.

Edited: 8:29 pm, April 08, 2014
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,132 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Picking up people from CDG via RER

It is NOT cheaper to take a taxi than the RER!

Florida
Level Contributor
17,099 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Picking up people from CDG via RER

Re-read.... he did not say it was cheaper. (just easier).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,059 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Picking up people from CDG via RER

Four RER tickets to/from CDG @ €9.75 each is €39. A taxi will be around €50. So for an extra €10 or so, the in-laws get the convenience of a door-to-door taxi, and you don't have to mess around going out to CDG.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,572 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Picking up people from CDG via RER

Sydneynick is right.. yes its a little bit more to take a taxi.. but only 10 euros or so.. and thats for door to door service for inlaws.. and no hassle for you . I would tell them to take a taxi and thats that.. .its almost 2 hours out of your time to go and meet them.. and if their plane is late.. no way would I want to be doing that, I am surprised they wouldn't just think to take a taxi themselves.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,034 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Picking up people from CDG via RER

The answer is that you need another ticket for your return to Paris.

As mentioned, best bet is to purchase four tickets when you purchase your ticket to CDG so you will already have tickets for the three of you to ride to Paris.

I'm guessing they would prefer you meet them to assist with the journey and probably also their bags.

If economy is an issue, you might want to encourage them to take Roissybus to Opera so you can meet them there, then proceed to the hotel. Roissybus is easy to find at CDG and better for people who may be struggling a bit with their bags and other belongings. They can use a luggage cart to the Roissybus stop at CDG and you'll be at the other end to provide assistance if needed.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,725 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Picking up people from CDG via RER

FM is right about the ticket machines at CDG being hard to use. Even for locals because they're often half broken. Sometimes they work, but won't take bank cards, only change (real change, no bills!) others aren't accepting change, just bank cards, and only ones with a chip.

Of course, you have no idea how the machine disfunctions until you've already waited in line. Even if you ask things may change once its your turn.

The Roissybus will be easier & cheaper, a taxi easier.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Picking up people from CDG via RER

If you say exactly what your destination in Paris is, people can fine tune their suggestions.