We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Paris, advice please!!

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
First visit to Paris, advice please!!

Hi all,

My husband (27) and I (25) will be making our first trip to Paris in September! So super excited! I am getting a bit overwhelmed in trying to get my head around where (location) to stay though. We want somewhere that is close(walking distance) to restaurants/cafes/bars ect but I am not sure what part of Paris that would be? In regards to seeing sites we are prepared for lots of walking or public transport so its not a big deal if we aren't close to all the sites. If you are able to offer advice on what hotels are good too then we are wanting to only spend a max of 200 Euro a night if possible but we can probably stretch it a little as we understand Paris is expensive.

Thank you in advance!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
204 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to Paris, advice please!!

When we went to Paris for my 30th Birthday we stayed at the Tryp Francois at Grand Boulevard. It was a really good location with loads of bars. I didn't really like the hotel but the location was good for a couple looking for fun.

We returned last year but as we had a baby we stayed elsewhere so it would be quieter.

Have a great time, hope you get booked soon!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,588 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to Paris, advice please!!

There are over 10,000 restaurants and cafes in central Paris, so you would be hard pressed to find anywhere that did not have some close by.

You might like to have a look at Hotel St-Louis en l'Isle, right on the Ile-St-Louis in the absolute centre of Paris. Some of the rooms are a bit small, but it is in your price range. See www.saintlouisenlisle.com/index.php…

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to Paris, advice please!!

Since it's your first trip, you might have a look at the areas in the Latin Quarter and Marais/Bastille. These are generally referred to as the 5th and 6th, then 4th and 11th arrondissements, when you're searching on hotel websites. Both these areas are convenient for walking, transport, and all the other things you want to see and do. Using normal "street smarts", virtually any area of Paris will be safe, day or night.

Especially since you aren't familiar with Paris, it's a good idea to do a GoogleMap StreetView search of the hotel address, so you can see exactly what the area looks like and if it's what you want.

My absolute favorite thing to do is take a nighttime cruise on one of the "bateaux mouches" - just to see the bridges and monuments illuminated after sunset. There are dinner cruises, for various prices, but just the tour costs about 13 EU - a very pleasant, romantic way to spend an hour in Paris. There are a couple of companies, here's one of them to get you started: www.bateaux-mouches.fr/en

4. Re: First visit to Paris, advice please!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:11 am, March 06, 2015
Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit to Paris, advice please!!

Patty is right, there are no real unsafe place in Paris, just avoid getting too near the 'portes' which are the limits or Paris 'intra muros' - meaning where the former walls were.

I stayed some times near different 'portes' and it is not exciting.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit to Paris, advice please!!

Thanks all for your replies! Very much appreciated :) I've decided to stretch my budget to 300 Euro (a night) roughly as I feel that will give us more options. Although there is just so much to choose from that I'm still finding myself feeling overwhelmed haha

Thanks again and feel free to keep the advice flowing!!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First visit to Paris, advice please!!

I second the recommendation regarding Hotel IL Saint Louis. If I were a first time visitor, the location is fantastic because it's a great landmark location, walking distance to just about anything, and it does give an old village feel particularly in the early morning and towards the evening when it gets quiet.

My first trip, and several afterwards, we use a friend's apartment in Montmartre which is a great area but far out for a first time visit. It would have been nice not having to get the metro everytimr we went out.

Edited: 6:02 am, April 09, 2014
Berwyn, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
140 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First visit to Paris, advice please!!

Not sure if you booked yet, but I would definitely stay in the 6th or 5th. Great vibe, fun restaurants, and an easy walk to tourist attractions. Added bonus you can take the train to St. Michel from the airport, no transfers!

north carolina
Level Contributor
271 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First visit to Paris, advice please!!

Take a look at Hotel Millesime in 6th. on Rue Jacob. Great location and reviews. A great package for 3+ night stay.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,089 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First visit to Paris, advice please!!

We have stayed in 8 of the arrondissements, some of them more than once and they have all been perfectly safe and have all been in easy walking distance of metro and numerous restaurants. Paris is an urban environment with neighborhoods people live in -- so different from suburban environments in the US where you may have to drive to get to a store or restaurant. I don't know what Australia is like, but Paris is always walkable for daily needs like bakery, groceries and restaurants and cafes. I agree with others that for a first visit that the 4th (Marais) 5th Latin Quarter and 6th St. Germaine are good choices which make it easy to walk to some important tourist destinations as well as be in lively areas. 200 Euro really should be enough for a decent hotel in those areas, 300 gives you loads of options.