We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bois de Boulogne or Bois de Vincienne?

Malta
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Topic
Bois de Boulogne or Bois de Vincienne?

Hi,

I m going to Paris in 2 weeks. I intend to spend a whole day at one of the 'bois'. Which one do you suggest? I would like to rent a bike and tour around.

Thanks

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Paris
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
White Umbrella Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Retro Tour Paris
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
City Wonders
City Tours, Night Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
PARIS
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bois de Boulogne or Bois de Vincienne?

Parc de Sceaux

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,777 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bois de Boulogne or Bois de Vincienne?

Bois de Vincennes! Friendlier bunch of people than in the snooty west :) And there are no "talking bushes" like in the Bois de Boulogne.

You won't get to know the whole Bois de Vincennes in one day, I have known it my whole life and while I think I know most of it I certainly haven't walked every single little alley. There is lots to do and see.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bois de Boulogne or Bois de Vincienne?

The Bois de Vincennes has much more variety.

Malta
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bois de Boulogne or Bois de Vincienne?

Which is the best stop to start the tour of Bois de Vinciennes? and to go back?

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,777 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bois de Boulogne or Bois de Vincienne?

I walk to the wood and it is bordered by so many suburbs and métro / RER stations that I don't know which one is best for a cyclist but my husband should be able to answer shortly and also give you a more objective answer on the Bois de Boulogne from a cyclist's point of view. He likes both. I am from the Bois de Vincennes neighborhood so I'm just defending my territory :) But objectively speaking I agree with kerouac that it seems more varied. Perhaps the Bois de Boulogne is more beautiful though but the Bois de Vincennes seems more lively. Half the Bois de Boulogne is bordered by the Paris périphérique ring road whereas the Bois de Vincennes is bordered by 7 suburbs and just a tiny portion Paris. Be warned that it is absolutely packed on sunny weekends. The zoo reopens after several years of repair work in one week with the beginning of school vacation so that portion will be busy since it will be a major event. Also the Foire du Trône fun fair is on right now.

Malta
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bois de Boulogne or Bois de Vincienne?

Thanks alot for the detailed information :)

I was reading that bcycle rentals are not available before June. Is that right?

Thanks

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,618 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bois de Boulogne or Bois de Vincienne?

See this thread about bike rentals in the Bois de Vincennes and other info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k73415…

There is info in the above link about the hours for bike rentals.

See this thread for info about the Bois de Boulogne and more about the Bois de Vincennes:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k49848…

There are two bike rental locations in the Bois de Boulogne and if you download the pdf doc for a map of the Bois in the following link you'll see bike icons in the map legend that denote the location of the bike rental places. The easiest one to get to via public transport is near the Jardin d'Acclimitation:

paris.fr/pratique/…p6567

There are bikes for rent every day in the Bois de Boulogne and you can find prices and hours here:

http://www.pariscycles.fr/

Edited: 11:27 am, April 04, 2014
Manchester United...
Level Contributor
236 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bois de Boulogne or Bois de Vincienne?

You could combine a visit to the Le musée Marmottan Monet with a visit to the Bois de Boulogne

We did a visit to the musee with a stroll around the Le lac Inférieur afterwards. We got some supplies from a kiosk and had a picnic lunch

Or you could visit the Parc de Bagatelle which is situated in the Bois de Boulogne

Malta
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bois de Boulogne or Bois de Vincienne?

Thanks alot for the detailed info. Found the links very interesting. We are planning to go on easter Monday. Are bike rentals open in morning? Sorry but can't find such answer online.

Thanks

Chris

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bois de Boulogne or Bois de Vincienne?

If you hear shrieks of terror in the Bois de Vincennes, it's because the Foire du Trône has just opened and the thrill rides get scarier every year.