We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plug Adapter Type C or E?

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Plug Adapter Type C or E?

Hello,

I am a bit confused with the plug adapter type used in Paris, France. According to the IEC, type E plugs have a grounding pin. If I plan to use my laptop, would the type E plug adapter be what I need?

Thank you!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
29,667 posts
34 reviews
28 helpful votes
1. Re: Plug Adapter Type C or E?

…wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_socke…

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,780 posts
34 reviews
29 helpful votes
2. Re: Plug Adapter Type C or E?

Does the plug that is on your laptop power brick have an earth pin, or are there only two pins?

If there are only two, then it doesn't care about the earth and you can safely use any 2-pin Euro adapter that looks a bit like a Type C Europlug. This will fit into a Type E French socket outlet - it just won't connect to the earth pin, and it doesn't need to.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
9,779 posts
3. Re: Plug Adapter Type C or E?

I have no idea what C or E mean but all you need is a Europlug: amazon.com/Adapter-Europe-Universal-Polarize…

Do not get a round grounded one even though the pins are exactly the same, it's just that the large round shape sometimes gets in the way of things, for instance if two sockets are very close side by side.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
9,779 posts
4. Re: Plug Adapter Type C or E?

If your laptop has three pins then get this model: amazon.com/VCT-Electronics-VP11B-Grounded-Ad…

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
25,257 posts
28 reviews
11 helpful votes
5. Re: Plug Adapter Type C or E?

hi

go to "the Source" (name for canadian version of Radio Shack) and get one that has more than one set of pins + get one that has USB connections which you can use to charge your phone with a usb cable only. I have this one which works great www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx…

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
6. Re: Plug Adapter Type C or E?

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions!

The plug on my laptop power brick has three pins. Would it be unsafe to use the type C one then?

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
25,257 posts
28 reviews
11 helpful votes
7. Re: Plug Adapter Type C or E?

the 3 pins on your charger will fit in the adapter that I linked. The chargers need to have 100-240V and 50-60Hz for it to work.

8. Re: Plug Adapter Type C or E?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 02, 2015