We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

can I use my iphone 4s in paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
East Calais, Vermont
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
can I use my iphone 4s in paris

i just want to check email, do i need boingo?

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: can I use my iphone 4s in paris

Maybe someone can confirm; but my co-worker told me her daughters iphone 4 did not work in Paris, but the iphone 5 does...

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,217 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: can I use my iphone 4s in paris

Any of the parks, many cafés, McDo, and Starbucks all have free internet which will allow you to check email at no cost.

Edit: our daughter´s iPhone 4 works very well in Paris.

Edited: 5:55 pm, March 31, 2014
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,500 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: can I use my iphone 4s in paris

the phone has to be on airplane mode so as to not incur roaming charges + wifi needs to be on. Facetime should work and if you buy skype credits you can call landlines everywhere for reasonable (cheap) rates.

Paris has hotspots in parks. paris.fr/english/english/how-to-access-the-w…

Level Contributor
7,832 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: can I use my iphone 4s in paris

4S works just fine in Paris

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: can I use my iphone 4s in paris

My 3GS worked fine last summer (and yes, its time for a new phone :-)

You either need to have an international plan or use it in a wifi spot in order to avoid huge charges. Two things that may have caused a problem. I've heard that those with pay as you go plans cannot use it out of teh country (at least in Canada). Also, your phone has to have international capability turned on by the cell phone company. Mine was activated when I bought it. They asked, I said yes. if its not international capable, it can't be used outside your country (again, that was here in Canada) That's a cell phone plan issue and not a phone issue though.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,564 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: can I use my iphone 4s in paris

Any wi-fi hotspot in Paris will work. Outside the range of wi-fi, you'll need to use cell data, and the availability if that varies by cell carriers. Check with your carrier for details.

Edited: 3:11 am, April 02, 2014
Paris, France
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: can I use my iphone 4s in paris

I have had US visitors whose iPhone 4 didn't work in Europe for voice/texts. I'm not sure which model(s) or if it was specific to their US provider. They changed to iPhone 5 for subsequent trips and have had no problems since.

As suggested above, if it's just for checking emails, then you'll find WiFi in many places.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: can I use my iphone 4s in paris

It also depends on your provider. Note that if you are with t-mobile, they now offer unlimited international texting and data as part of your domestic plan.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,911 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: can I use my iphone 4s in paris

Re:#3. If you are on Aiplane Mode your wifi won't work. I think you mean the reverse. Unlimited international texting and data as part of a domestic plan only works while you are in your home turf. Totally different when you take that phone "outside" your territory. You'll either have to be on roaming,; buy a travel plan; or get a SIM card for the country you are visiting. To do that you need an unlocked phone.

Hattiesburg...
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: can I use my iphone 4s in paris

I just typed this with my iPhone in airplane mode with wifi turned on...