We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Arrondissement To Stay For Tourists?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Which Arrondissement To Stay For Tourists?

I am a 25 year old female travelling to Paris with my mum this European summer. We are staying for 5 nights and would like to see the sights, visit restaurants and cafes, museums, shops, galleries and see the beautiful streets of Paris.

We are looking at booking a hotel rather soon and I have tried to do some research as to which arrondissement to stay in Paris but I am still undecided!

I have been told by some to stay in 1-4. I have been looking at the Westin Paris Vendome which seems like a rather nice hotel which apparently is smack bang in the middle of the sights. I have been told by others to stay in Saint Germain or Marais as they have great cafes etc but I haven't really been able to find any decent hotels. I was also looking at staying in the Champs Elysees arrondissement (maybe a few nights at the Shangri-La) however I was told that this area is really not central and not very exciting. It is more an area you would visit for the day. And lastly when looking online there are all sorts of reviews also!

Can anyone recommend a nice area. We would like to walk outside and be in the hustle and bustle. I would love to be able to walk down the road and be able to find something to do but we are obviously also willing to have to catch taxis or catch trains to other places. I would love to see some beautiful little neighbourhoods and the areas of Paris that are what makes it Paris but I don't want to sacrifice convenience to be in these areas when we would probably like to see a different area each day anyway. I really like to be central and in a decent sized hotel when I travel so I can really get my bearings as to where I am. It's then easy to be somewhere central if you aren't interested in walking far at that moment but are able to quickly get up and go to a new area and explore.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks! :)

The Green Way
Sightseeing Tours
Hit the Road
Literary, Art & Music Tours
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
24,243 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Arrondissement To Stay For Tourists?

The Shangri-La is in a wonderful neighborhood with bus lines passing right in front but it is not a neighborhood for first time visitors. Hotels in the 4th, 5th, or 6th are very popular for tourists who have either never visited Paris before. There are many good ones from which to choose but stay in only one. You really do not want to change hotels in the middle of your visit.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
16,630 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Arrondissement To Stay For Tourists?

Then look into staying a the George V which is a Four Seasons Hotel or the Mandarin Oriental. Both very good hotels with nice rooms, great service.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Arrondissement To Stay For Tourists?

If you can afford the Shangri-La, you can stay ANYWHERE !

But for the price of a normal room in Shangrii-La, Bristol or George V, you can have a Deluxe Junior Suite in www.hoteldaubusson.com , which I think has a much nicer location or 2 rooms there.

Hotel Raphael and Saint James (not St James & Albany) would also be my favourites.

Also nice ,and very famous (lots of moviestars stayed there), is a suite in www.l-hotel.com if you like small luxury hotels. Has the 9th best restaurant. I'll be there in a "mignon" room (very small)

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Arrondissement To Stay For Tourists?

A nice tourist guide for the affluent (although also budget travelers can find something) is

cntraveller.com/guides/…where-to-stay

Hotels Ritz, Crillon and Plaza Athenee are closed now for refurbishing.

Le Meurice is also a top hotel (used for the dinner in Midnight in Paris, although they stayed at Bristol)

Edited: 11:16 am, March 25, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Arrondissement To Stay For Tourists?

We stayed in the Westin Vendome last summer. It was very nice and in a good location. This summer we've decided to stay in a smaller hotel on the border of the 5th and 6th. We seemed to spend so much time on the left bank last summer that it just made sense to stay there this year.

You've said you haven't been able to find any "decent hotels". Are you basing that on the stars provided? The star system in France is far different than many other locations. There are many 2 and 3 star hotels that are very very nice. And many four or five stars that are not. The stars are provided based on the amenities in the hotel and nothing else.

6. Re: Which Arrondissement To Stay For Tourists?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 27, 2015