We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

disposable phones vs international phone cards

Pacifica, California
1 post
Save Topic
disposable phones vs international phone cards

my teenager is going on school tour trip next week for 13 days.from U.S. to Germany,Prague,Paris & the Alps. they are not allowed to bring any electronics.i want her to be able to call me if she wants to.i have no idea what is the easiest way to do so. payphones? prepaid phone cards? prepaid phones? disposable phones? whats best? which country to buy from? where to find them to buy? how much cost? any additional costs? etc. HELP PLEASE ASAP thank you signed-mother of only child!

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,992 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: disposable phones vs international phone cards

In Paris she can purchase an international phone card at any tabac or magazine store. They may be used from an ever dwindling number of pay phones.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,031 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: disposable phones vs international phone cards

Purchasing a disposable phone sounds like a bad idea if the rule is no electronics. If its an emergency she could phone from the hotel.. I had to do that once and it wasn't as shockingly expensive as you would think. Otherwise she can just get a phone card as Sarcastro suggested. Its what I do.. I travel without my phone. The cheapest one is 7.5 euros. But it will only work in France so if she goes to another country I guess she would have to buy one there .. and there. and there.

Perhaps just arrange a time you could phone her once or twice at the hotel they are staying in.. you really shouldn't need to chat everyday., kind of defeats the purpose of them being totally immersed in their trip. Anyways..she will be fine.. very safe places she is going to and she will have tons of fun with her friends on the trip.