We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

13-year-old boys in Paris? help!

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
13-year-old boys in Paris? help!

We're taking our kids to Paris next week--the 15-year-old girl is going for her 3rd time, she's a pro... but our 13-year-old skateboarding son is not a great traveler, and he's never been a fan of museums. Suggestions? We know about Paris, my husband and I have been half a dozen times, but it's hard to get into the mind of a young teenage boy!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,458 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 13-year-old boys in Paris? help!

Took my 14yr old son last summer. Skateboarder and not a scholar or art lover ! LOL

That said, he loved Paris!

He loved the Catacombs, and the Effiel Tower( we climbed the stairs! ) . He also enjoyed the Lourve!

The trick is to find the parts of the Lourve that are interesting to your son. My son loved seeing real Egyptian Mummies, and the Crwon Jewels and Napoleons apartments. He didn't enjoy the greek /Roman sculpture gallery, in fact he said, " it's all just naked men! " I said" be quiet and go and find a naked woman," mom is going to have a good look around! LOL

We also did a day trip to Versailles where we rented bikes and rode around the Grand Canals, he enjoyed that very much, and was a good relief to him after having to file through the palace .

I tried to work in lots of "physical" aspects to our visits to sites. We climbed the Towers at Notre Dame, we climbed down into the Catacombs, we climbed up the Tower, etc. Passive touring is boring for kids.

Hope you have fun, and as much as your daughter may love shopping, remember it is not usually high on the list for teenage boys( unless one finds a target interest store for them, ie. a skate boarding shop would probaly be interesting to your son) so perhaps your family could split up on that day!

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,694 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 13-year-old boys in Paris? help!

Oh duh, I can't believe that I forgot Fat Tire Bike tours. You can tour the city on bike or with Segways. Very cool and right now it is Paris Plage. 1/2 naked girls should keep him interested there!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,458 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 13-year-old boys in Paris? help!

You don't need a flashlight to go to the Catacombs. We did fine without. It is supposed to be creepy ! LOL( There are lights though!)

Boston
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 13-year-old boys in Paris? help!

I'm just so amazed at the information you all have... I have used TA for years to find hotels, but never went to the forum. This is like having a whole slew of friends who know the ropes. Great tip about the flashlights, and our first stop will probably be FNAC b/c we will have forgotten something.

thanks, all of you!!

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 13-year-old boys in Paris? help!

robinleebee:

Just a final comment. I can truly second the idea about the "physical" aspect of Paris. I went to Paris as 15-years old with my father and we climbed everything: Notre-Dame, Sacré-Coeur, Arc de Triomphe. We did not climb the Eiffel Tower, though - but we took the elevator up - and I can still remember the thrill of stepping out into the highest platform. I am a country girl and had NEVER been to a place that high before, WOW !

Also: you can hire rowing boats in the park of Versailles (Grand Canal):

chateauversailles.fr/en/590_Facilities.php…

Boston
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: 13-year-old boys in Paris? help!

joan1, thanks for your reminder about the physicality (he's at camp right now, so I'm having a somewhat blissful respite!!) We'll climb and crawl around everything we can!

Bea
Sarasota, Fl
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: 13-year-old boys in Paris? help!

Hi Robin,

Took my 13 year old years ago and while he took the opportunity to complain whenever he could about mostly everything, he just loved it. The city is great for kids. Lots of street food to eat, movies in English, skateboarding, roller bladers everywhere.....so much to just look at. Surely he would love Napoleons tomb and the military musee there. In Jardin du plantee there is a building full of preserved body parts....awful. A boat ride along the Seine might be of interest or a visit to the Arab museum with lunch on their top floor or in the tea room. If there is a parade, do go to it. Some are wild! And since there is a McD's handy everywhere, he can always eat something familiar. Actually I cant imagine a kid not liking all the things to do in Paris, especially eating out every meal and having his parents pay so much attention to him.

You might get him to suggest the places he would want to go. He might surprise you with all that he already knows about the city.

You will all have a great time watching him enjoy the city.

18. Re: 13-year-old boys in Paris? help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:41 am, August 13, 2009