We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car Out of paris

Rangiora, New...
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car Out of paris

Bonjour:)

In a previous post I asked about getting a train from Paris to Limoges and then a rental car from there. I think that I worked out from that that I would be better to get a rental car in Paris. I intend to drive South West through the Loire Valley. I have all sorts of concerns about getting the car from within paris though and would prefer to get the car from outside of Paris - heading in the right direction for Loire Valley - just so that it is a little less stressful for me. I wondered whether Versailles might be a good location and there is a depot for the rental car there....can someone advise if that is a good location or were a bette location would be for me to then carry on my journey.

Merci...

Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,158 reviews
from $108.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
460 reviews
from $332.10*
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,737 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car Out of paris

If it's the Loire you want and Paris driving you wish to avoid take the TGV from Gare Montparnasse to Tours. The train will actually stop in the Tours suburb of St Pierre des Corps which is not only away from downtown Tours but is also the car rental hub. Try using Kemwel.co.uk who are brokers an can usually beat any other price.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,725 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car Out of paris

Have you actually checked the routing from Paris to the Loire Valley?

I would not take a train to Versailles just to avoid driving out of Paris. If you wanted to visit Versailles that might be an option but finding A10, the route to the Loire Valley, is more difficult from Versailles than it would be from Paris.

As an example, I typically rent cars from the Europcar office at les Invalides. I take avenue Raspail to Porte d´Orléans, transition to the Périphérique and the A6 exit, take the A10 cutoff and two hours later I am in Tours. You hardly need to turn the steering wheel, it´s straight ahead most of the way.

There are lot more highway changes and speed limit changes departing Versailles than departing Paris in navigating your way to A10.

Before your anxiety builds too much, actually check the routing of any purposed itinerary. Here are a couple of excellent tools:

www.mappy.fr

www.viamichelin.fr

If you want to drive to the Loire Valley, and why not save the unnecessary expense of train tickets, depart from Orly Airport. It´s located on A6, a short distance from A10 and would be one of the easiest transitions available. You´ll still pay the 40€ train station/airport pickup surcharge but Orly will always stock the car you need and you´ll have the option of stopping by Chartres to see the Cathedral.

If non of these suggestions appeal, and they are only options, take the train to St Pierre des Corps and pickup a rental there.

Rangiora, New...
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car Out of paris

Thank you very much for these helpful suggestions.

Cheers

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car Out of paris

It is extremely easy to drive out of Paris, and the drivers in Paris are among the most tolerant in the country, since they deal with so many clueless yokels (my apologies to the clueless yokels). You need to worry much more about the intolerance of the drivers in the small cities of France.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,725 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car Out of paris

<<You need to worry much more about the intolerance of the drivers in the small cities of France.>>

My observations exactly. It´s the small town driver who aggressively exercises his ¨priority a droite¨ rights, popping out of nowhere, cutting you off and risking collision where you´re at fault that presents a far great danger than those one might encounter driving out of Paris.

6. Re: Rental Car Out of paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 18, 2015