We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in May for 4 nights with 3 yr-old

Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel in May for 4 nights with 3 yr-old

Hello and thank you in advance for taking the time to read and respond.

Will be visiting Paris for the first time for 10 days in May 2014, and looking for hotel recommendations for the 2nd half of our trip. We are staying near the Eiffel Tower for the first half due to work arrangements, but I would like to stay somewhere closer to all the sights (Luxembourg, Le Bon Marche, Tuileries, Les Halle, etc.) for the second half.

Would like to keep the budget under $200 USD /night if possible, but with good service, quality, and safety.

Thank you kindly.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,420 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in May for 4 nights with 3 yr-old

If you are staying near the Eiffel Tower, Le Bon Marché is not far away and neither is Luxembourg really. Les Halles have very little appeal, the surrounding area is interesting and Tuileries has easy access to almost anywhere.

Why are you wanting to change hotels? You are very close to the center of Paris and bus/métro service from where you are is really very comprehensive. Based upon what you have written so far, I wouldn´t change.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in May for 4 nights with 3 yr-old

My DIL just yesterday got a room at Michelet Odeon for her and her 2 young daughters for a few nights in June. It was under $200. None of us has ever stayed there before, but this is at the end of a 2 week trip to Languedoc, and the price and location are right.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in May for 4 nights with 3 yr-old

Where are you staying the first half? "Near the Eiffel Tower is a very large area...but there is excellent bus service to all the places you mentioned.

Is the rate on your own too high, so you want something less costly?

Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in May for 4 nights with 3 yr-old

Thank you, this is so helpful... We are staying at Novotel Tour Eiffel for the first 5 nights. I really appreciate your feedback as, on the map, it looks to be a bit away from the central area, but perhaps I am mistaken?

The rate is actually not bad at Novotel, right around $200 USD before tax. I want to be somewhere within close walking distance of a good market and playgrounds for my son, and thought Novotel isn't.

Happy to reconsider my plan and really glad that I asked. :)

Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel in May for 4 nights with 3 yr-old

Also, I thought that it might be fun to stay in a different hotel, especially given that the rates don't really go down at Novotel if we stayed 5 vs. 9 nights...

Any thoughts would be most appreciated. :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,289 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel in May for 4 nights with 3 yr-old

Whatever you save on a cheaper hotel would just be eaten up by the cost of transfer and the time lost in doing so. You could be using that time enjoying Paris and its sights instead of checking in and checking out. Check out times are much earlier than check in times and you need to manage your luggage during the gap. Just not worth while. IMO.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel in May for 4 nights with 3 yr-old

In general I'm not a fan of changing hotels either, but I think the 5th or 6th arrondissements would be better locations than the area around the ET with a young child. From that part of the 7th you have to get on a bus or metro to see most of what people want to visit in Paris.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel in May for 4 nights with 3 yr-old

For sure, I would move from the Novotel. It's one of the few hotels "near the Eiffel Tower" that is just not conveniently located.

You could move anywhere, and "moving" is not really that inconvenient. You simply check out, go to the next hotel, drop your bags, if you cannot get into the room on arrival, and continue on with your day.

With a small child, I would recommend a place convenient to where multiple bus routes intersect as you'd probably find traveling by bus far preferable to the metro.

Near Bon Marche and Luxembourg Gardens would definitely be preferable.

Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel in May for 4 nights with 3 yr-old

Thank you again to all who responded. It is incredible that one can now get advice from people who truly know the destinations without leaving one's home. This has got to be one of the best uses of the internet!! :D

Anyhow. So, we have decided that we will move.

Intersection of multiple bus routes sounds like a really great idea. Any specific hotels that people can recommend that meet that criterion in the 6th?

Merci!!

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel in May for 4 nights with 3 yr-old

Personally, I would recommend hotels in the 6th in the vicinity of the metro stations Rennes, Sevres-Babylone, Rue de Bac (for the intersecting bus routes).

Use GoogleMaps or PagesJaunes to identify hotels nearby and visit their websites for rates and availability.

Or, use booking engines such as booking, venere, hotels, etc., .com and modify the search by price, metro station, Bon Marche, Luxembourg Gardens.

Do know that you need to book a room for three people, as each person must be declared, regardless of age/size. If you book a double room, assuming you can check in with your child, you would likely be refused.