We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For shoppers - what is cheaper in Paris?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
225 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
For shoppers - what is cheaper in Paris?

I took advantage of the Longchamp bag prices today and bought one for me and 2 as gifts. I'm from Toronto so would appreciate any other shopping tips in Paris. And no...don't have a Chanel budget!

Detaille
Gift & Specialty Shops
Christian Louboutin
Gift & Specialty Shops
Maison Verot
Gift & Specialty Shops
atlanta
Level Contributor
4,532 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For shoppers - what is cheaper in Paris?

Basically stuff made in France. I usually get sea salt, cheese and chocolates. I also stock up a Caudlie serum I love

Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For shoppers - what is cheaper in Paris?

Most of our "souvenirs" come from supermarkets. Champagne, cheese, foie gras, gourmet patés, etc. are waaaay cheaper than in Canada. Local brands of shower gels (available in a wide variety of perfumes) can make nice, inexpensive gifts. Very nice stuff can be found at vintage jewelry stores and antique stores (prints, silverware, etc.) for a reasonable price.

Edited: 6:17 pm, March 08, 2014
Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
930 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For shoppers - what is cheaper in Paris?

I bought so much stuff at the pharmacie that my suitcase was 18 pounds overweight when I checked in. Oops.

Don't regret it for a single minute, as I use all my potions & lotions each night before bed!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
225 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For shoppers - what is cheaper in Paris?

I found it strange that the L'Oreal mascara that i buy at home between $ 7-12 is almost 20E at Sephora. Isnt L'Oreal french?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: For shoppers - what is cheaper in Paris?

"Non essential" items like makeup are priced in every country at whatever the market will bear, taking local brands into consideration. It's one of the reasons that L'Oréal bought Maybelline -- to get more control over the North American market.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: For shoppers - what is cheaper in Paris?

Indeed, ChaChaMa. A surprising number of French products are cheaper in the US than in France. It has something to do with the French vs American distribution systems, number of middlemen, etc. I have just found that I can buy on the internet the French edition of a French scent that I wear at 50% of its Paris price, since VAT is not included here and other voodoo factors. It's tedious to research on the internet but can save you a bundle on so,e things you might consider buying there.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,770 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: For shoppers - what is cheaper in Paris?

I used to stock up a lot from the pharmacie to the point of having to send a colisee box or two every trip (but that contains laundry and etc) and so relieved to have found a US importer that bring most of these for very little more, and in some cases equal price. Free shipping as well. Only thing I have to source personally, or through friends who commute, are my fabulous little sleeping pills. More so that my MD says they are great.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,732 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: For shoppers - what is cheaper in Paris?

<<Most of our "souvenirs" come from supermarkets.>>

I like this Meriem. Super markets are a treasure trove of interesting items not available elsewhere. Crepe pans or even better, galette pans are another item not easily obtained outside of France.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: For shoppers - what is cheaper in Paris?

I always stock up on Nuxe and Avene, the latter has been in the US market for the past 2 years but it's expensive.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,770 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: For shoppers - what is cheaper in Paris?

Both are in North America and can easily be bought at some websites on discount or direct from French importers and cost differential pays for itself in not having the schlep in precious luggage space.