We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two weeks in Northern Europe

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Two weeks in Northern Europe

My husband and I are planning a trip in Europe. We fly into Paris, have two weeks to travel around and fly out of Copenhagen. Any suggested itineries would really be appreciated. We like car and train travel, possibly any day trips. We like scenery, history, gardens and restaurants. Thank you for any ideas.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,875 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two weeks in Northern Europe

First of all you need to get a good guidebook - Lonely Planet is my favourite. When are you going? Then work out what *you* want to see/do. Do you want to spend all your time in and around Paris? Spend a week in Paris and somewhere else (e.g. Amsterdam). With only 2 weeks, you can only cover 2 places (perhaps 3). You cannot count the day you arrive in a place, or the day you leave. You have a lot of homework to do. After all, it's your holiday, not ours.

Edited: 6:24 am, March 08, 2014
London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two weeks in Northern Europe

The two most obvious cities to visit between Paris and Copenhagen would be Amsterdam and Hamburg, although you could also get to Hamburg via Cologne.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two weeks in Northern Europe

We are raveling In August/ September and wanted to be around Paris not necessarily right in Paris as we have seen the tourist spots previously. Thanks for your reply.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two weeks in Northern Europe

Thank you we had thought about Amsterdam but not Hamburg so will now explore this option.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,875 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two weeks in Northern Europe

I spent 10 days in Amsterdam last year and would thoroughly recommend it.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,381 posts
801 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two weeks in Northern Europe

Since you have 14 days I would not visit more than three cities (or possible 4 if you do not mind all the extra travel hassle). The Paris – AmsterdamHamburgCopenhagen route works or you could substitute Brussels (with a day trip to Bruges) in place of Hamburg.

Sweden
Level Contributor
187 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two weeks in Northern Europe

Even though Berlin might not be on a straight route from Paris to Copenhagen I would choose Berlin instead of Hamburg. Berlin has so many things to offer, you will get history, gardens, as well as restaurants.

Join a walking tour of the main sites on your first day and then decide what you would like to explore further.

Since you are flying out from Copenhagen I would suggest at least a day tour to Sweden. Scania, the very southern province in Sweden, has got many options regarding scenery and gardens.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two weeks in Northern Europe

I guess it is easy to get confused by all these good suggestions, here is yet another.

Paris, Amsterdam and Copenhagen is really enough for two weeks. However, if you prefer to travel by train, the train ride from Amsterdam to Copenhagen takes 11hrs. It would be convenient travel-wise to break it in two with a stopover between them. Hamburg and Bremen are both well located as possible stop-overs, but IMO Bremen is the most interesting of the two. It has a beautiful old town with a magnificent town hall and a cathedral miraculously surviving the bombing during WWII: http://www.bremen-tourism.de/

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two weeks in Northern Europe

I have read a little about Brussels and some say it is

better to stay in Bruges?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Two weeks in Northern Europe

Oh yes a day trip to Sweden sounds marvellous. Can you recommend anywhere to stay in Copenhagen, not too expensive but clean and private bathroom . We would prefer romantic rather than modern style .