We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chip and Signature Card: anyone tried it in Metro?

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
147 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Chip and Signature Card: anyone tried it in Metro?

Greeting! Just ordered a chip and signature card (not chip and pin). ( Sapphire Preferred). I am wondering if anybody has tried using one of these in the Metro ticket machines. My non-chip swipe card did not work in the Metro when I was there in October. Never had a problem with swipe cards at restaurants or stores though.

Just wondering if you have used chip and signature swipe cards successfully or had any issues.

N.B.: I live in the U.S.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,314 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chip and Signature Card: anyone tried it in Metro?

There is no way to do a signature on the machine so a chip and signature card is not going to work for metro machines. Almost no metro stations have manned sales windows so there would be no place to use a signature card whether chip or magnetic strip at most of them. A chip and pin attuned to the French banking system would work because it can be verified with the pin on the keypad on the machine.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,888 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chip and Signature Card: anyone tried it in Metro?

I believe most RER stops have window with an attendant - maybe that will work, or a tabac store.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
356 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chip and Signature Card: anyone tried it in Metro?

Elisabeth, in the metro there are different types of machines. The green machines with the rollerbar is the machines that I was able to purchase tickets from. I have an Andrews chip and pin visa card with a magnetic strip. It is the only machine that I could use with the card. I had trouble using the card everywhere. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't work. It was much easier to use my ATM card to get cash and use cash for tickets. When you find a manned station just buy a couple of carnets. Have fun, when are you leaving?

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
147 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chip and Signature Card: anyone tried it in Metro?

OK Thanks for your quick replies... That is what I suspected... I guess I will use my debit card to get cash from the ATM and then use cash in the Metro machines. In October, I had no problems using my swipe card in restaurants and stores... Just couldn't use it in the metro for tickets. Maybe I should not have ordered the chip and signature... I hope it will work for me at stores and restaurants. Thanks again!

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
147 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chip and Signature Card: anyone tried it in Metro?

@Ziggy: going back in May. Paris trip #3! I live in MSP, too.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
422 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chip and Signature Card: anyone tried it in Metro?

Hopefully the U.S. will get with the program, after the Target/Neiman Marcus debacle, and switch to chip and pin. Costly and might take a while, though. Really ridiculous that the US is so behind the 8 ball. I, too, got a chip and signature (from AmEx) but it sounds like I won't be able to use it the way I'd hoped. In that case, can you get the Navigo Decouverte at Tabacs as well (charged up, so I can use a reg swipe and sig credit card), or just at the Metro/RER with cash? I purchased my week long metro ticket in Rome from a Tabac, but unclear if it is as common to do so in Paris...

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,986 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chip and Signature Card: anyone tried it in Metro?

Be aware that not all kiosks take bills - some take only coins. That, in fact, is the difficulty.

It may be ridiculous that the U.S. doesn't have chip and pin, but it is also difficult to work around the low number of kiosks that accept bills (they are increasing). Most stations do *not* have sales at the windows any longer, although on New Year's Eve, we found a place that made an exception. I thought it was going to be far easier to find a tabac that would recharge our cards or sell tickets (we found one, but we walked into several before finding it). So don't think it's "tabacs in general," it took us quite a while to find one. We tried two on Rue Francs Bourgeois (no go), one on Rue des Archives (no go) and then found one on Rue de Sevigny (VERY nice man).

Level Contributor
8,629 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chip and Signature Card: anyone tried it in Metro?

In the hearings before the people in DCA the Target CEO talked about them going to the chip and pin card and they act as if it is "new" technology???

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,501 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chip and Signature Card: anyone tried it in Metro?

If you look at the current Metro map, you will see that some stations have an asterisk against them. These stations should have a staffed ticket office open during the hours that trains are running. In addition, all RER stations in central Paris have a staffed ticket office.

The current map is available at www.ratp.fr/informer/pdf/orienter/f_plan.php…

Edited: 10:43 pm, February 05, 2014
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,235 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chip and Signature Card: anyone tried it in Metro?

If your new credit card has a chip, it should work perfectly well for you at almost any kiosk location. My PenFed card is a hybrid pin and chip card (it has a pin but most transactions default to signature). At some locations, CDG for example, using the pin is required to complete a purchase. At the transportation kiosks in Paris, transactions are completed without the pin.

I would definitely give your new card a try before thinking it won''t work for you. And if the kiosks at CDG don't work for you, try those in Paris.