We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer in CDG

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ayf
st. louis
3 posts
Save Topic
Transfer in CDG

I am booking flights to Europe on two different tickets. On the way back, I will fly from Vienna to CDG (via. Air France) and from CDG to the US (via. Delta). Since they are on two seperate tickets, I'd need to recheck in when I get to CDG (I think). I am thinking of booking the tickets so that I arrive in CDG at 9:30 and leave at 1:35. Another option is to pay more $$ and leave later.

Do people familliar with CDG think the first option is feasible?

Thanks,

A

Paris
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfer in CDG

Air France and Delta code share. Why not just book it all on one ticket?

At anyrate 4 hours is plently of time assuming your plane isnt massively delayed. They will check your luggage through and perhaps give you your boarding passes since they are partners.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,079 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfer in CDG

Not sure what you mean... did you book your entire trip as one booking, using the 'multiple cities' option? That is, you arrive in one European city but depart from another city. This is called 'open jaw' ticketing and is a great way to save some time and avoid back-tracking.

If you are booking separate flights with different companies, be aware that if anything happens with the first flight, the 2nd airline has no responsibility for helping you. Example, if Air France changes your Vienna flight 2 days before you leave to later in the day, there is no way Delta will therefore revise your 1:35 flight. Hope you understand what I mean...

To specifically answer, though, I think 3 hours between an Air France flight and a Delta flight s/b ok. Do you know what terminals are involved? That would help a lot. Also, if you are booking this Vienna-Paris-US flight as one booking, your luggage will be transferred for you, so you only have to get yourself from one terminal to another. If you truly booked as two separate tickets, you'll have to get your luggage yourself, which takes up more of your connecting time.

ayf
st. louis
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfer in CDG

Thanks for the help. No, this is not one ticket booked with the "multiple cities option." Believe it or not, doing that literally doubles the price.

My concern is exactly the comment raised by TravelNutty---if there is a huge delay coming into Paris and I miss my flight, Delta won't do anything to get me on the next flight.

I can definitely do carry on only, so this should mitigate the time. But, I always get lost in CDG (and I tend to go through CDG a couple of times a year). According to the website, Delta flies out of CDG2 Terminal C. Airfrance travels out of all the CDG2 terminals---I don't know how to figure out which one the Vienna flight arrives in. (Does anyone know?)

Any revised thoughts? Thanks again!

A

Paris
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfer in CDG

One booking or two doesnt matter...... they should book your luggage all the way through as they code share and are both skyteam members. You've priced your ticket through both Air France and Delta and they came up much more than two tickets? You can buy the ticket from Air France and it will be an Air France flight number but a delta plane.

Odds are your Vienna flight will come into 2D as that is what it does tmo.

Here is a very handy map of CDG 2:

airchive.com/Timetables%20and%20Maps/Europe2…

You can walk from any terminal 2 terminal to the other. Much better than the shuttles IMHO.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,856 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfer in CDG

"You can walk from any terminal 2 terminal to the other. Much better than the shuttles IMHO."

Better, because it is;

a - less confusing

b - you dont have to wait for the shuttle to arrive

c - you are probably closer to where you want to be than the shuttle will drop you.

If you are arriving at D and departing from A, dont forget the corridor where all the car hire firms are. This brings all the terminals within about 5 minutes of each other.

ayf
st. louis
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfer in CDG

Thanks guys! This is all really helpful!

(And, yeah, it was 2x the price both on AF and on Delta... amazing!)

A

7. Re: Transfer in CDG

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, August 15, 2009