We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Little Venice area of Paris?

Grants Pass, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Little Venice area of Paris?

Our two friends just returned from a 2 week visit to Paris and Nancy. In Paris they said they stayed 2 nights at a hotel in an area called 'Little Venice' but have no idea where it was. Their friends who live in Nancy booked it for them, and took them to it. Exactly where is this area? I'm guessing maybe around Canal St Martin? They are clueless.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Little Venice area of Paris?

Gomac,

It looks to me like it's about 40 miles south of Paris. It's actually displayed as a town called Etampes. Here's the reference that I found:

"... this small town is sprinkled with gothic sanctuaries and rich with numerous Renaissance mansions which recall the prosperity brought by the grain trade. It richly deserves its nickname 'little town of art'; criss-crossed by many rivers, it's also frequently dubbed 'little Venice'."

Hope that helps solve the mystery.

Stacy

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Little Venice area of Paris?

If you want to see Paris, you should not stay in Etampes.

Canal St Martin with A LOT of imagination could remind you of some areas of the Grand Canal in Venice.

I have been to Amsterdam, Bruges, Saint Petersburg where references to Venice are often made. To me there is Venice and nothing else looks like it.

Grants Pass, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Little Venice area of Paris?

Stacy EAH,

Thanks but it was actually in Paris, they said about 20 minutes by cab from the "main drag". These were really 1st timers. The friends from Nancy, hadn't been in Paris in 10 years so that may be an old name for an area that no longer exists.

L.P. I have to admit you're right on in your comment.

Thanks, again. I was merely curious.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,117 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Little Venice area of Paris?

I'm going to guess it was a name for the la Villette area before that area became redeveloped into Parc de Villette... reference to it was made here:

"..Parisian canals planned at the turn of the century supplied the capital with drinking water and also made the Villette into an important center for river traffic. The Canal de l'Ourcq (which crosses the park) continues to supply Parisians with 60% of their non-drinking water. But just like the Canal Saint-Denis on the West Side of the site, it no longer plays a major role in commerce. However, the "Little Venice" of La Villette has become once again a place for a leisurely stroll and pleasure..."

arch.ced.berkeley.edu/kap/gallery/gal173.html

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Little Venice area of Paris?

it seems that travelnutty is right:

http://www.insecula.com/musee/M0145.html

Grants Pass, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Little Venice area of Paris?

travelnutty & gitteK...Hey, thanks. It appears you're both correct. A bit of history is always a nice thing when it concerns Paris.

Grants Pass, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Little Venice area of Paris?

Traqvelnutty, some nice pictures on that link, though. The description and pictures do explain their comments on the area around their hotel. Not a location I would chose, tho.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,117 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Little Venice area of Paris?

I've actually not been to Parc de Villette YET, after 10 trips or so... I think we're going to see 'modern' Paris next time. La Villette, Defense, Bercy.... sort of a theme..

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,008 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Little Venice area of Paris?

It is actually a good neighborhood, with a very up and coming arts scene and a young, lively crowd. The Villette is fun to explore and you get a good feel of Paris minus the hoards of tourists.

10. Re: Little Venice area of Paris?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, August 12, 2009