We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best credit card for Paris/London

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Best credit card for Paris/London

My wife and I headed to a 10 day trip in London/Paris at the end of February. We have the Band of America Travel Rewards card with a chip; however, I'm reading that people have had issues at ticket kiosks, etc with chip & signature cards.

Have you used the BoA card with any luck while in Europe?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,818 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best credit card for Paris/London

Unless you have either a hybrid signature/pin and chip or a true pin and chip card, a signature and chip card may not be accepted at kiosks otherwise requiring a pin.

However, you have a no annual fee, no transaction fee card which has a chip meaning you should have few overall difficulties.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best credit card for Paris/London

Thank you, Sarastro. We picked the BoA card exactly for the reasons you stated: No annual fee, no foreign transactions. We'll hope for the best at kiosks, but make sure we always have cash on hand, just in case.

Thanks again.

California
Level Contributor
103 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best credit card for Paris/London

I just got back from a three week trip to London and Paris yesterday and I traveled with this card, using it almost exclusively aside from my Charles Schwab debit card which I used for cash withdrawls.

I had nearly no issues whatsoever with this card, with the exception of a kiosk in Bruges when trying to buy rail tickets and a random vendor at the airport near my gate yesterday. It was never an issue with any other vendor (grocery stores, restaurants, stores, etc). I simply told them (when I needed to), that it was chip and sign, not chip and pin.

In Bruges it would not work at the kiosk, citing a "technical error", but I simply went to a manned window and he was able to run it perfectly.

Have a great trip!

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,244 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best credit card for Paris/London

<I had nearly no issues whatsoever with this card, with the exception of a kiosk in Bruges when trying to buy rail tickets>

Most Belgian rail ticket machines do not accept credit cards of any kind - even chip-and-pin cards issued by Belgian banks. They accept only Maestro debit cards. More modern machines will be installed soon which will accept credit cards.

5. Re: Best credit card for Paris/London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 15, 2015