We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston to Paris via Icelandair w1 stop in Iceland question

West Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
394 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Boston to Paris via Icelandair w1 stop in Iceland question

Hello

My husband and I are looking to fly to Paris in July. We will be flying out of Boston. Icelandair has fares in the $1000 range if we have a stopover in Iceland. I am wondering if people who have taken this route have comments.

The airline packages always have only about 65-90 minutes between touchdown and take-off in Iceland. Is this enough time? Would we have to clear customs in Iceland, re-check bags and have time to reach our next flight?

Any insight would be appreciated…

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston to Paris via Icelandair w1 stop in Iceland question

It's plenty of time. The airport in Rejkavik is really small. Short transit times are the norm.

IcelandAir is a budget airline. They'll get you to Paris safely, but there won't be anything in the way of frills along the way. I'd plan on taking a sandwich or something to eat on board with you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston to Paris via Icelandair w1 stop in Iceland question

I agree with Happy that you'll have plenty of time & to bring your own food.

They also offer a free stopover in RKV which I highly recommend if you have a couple of extra days. It's a beautiful place.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston to Paris via Icelandair w1 stop in Iceland question

>>>>>They also offer a free stopover in RKV which I highly recommend if you have a couple of extra days. It's a beautiful place.<<<<<

I was going to mention the same thing. A friend of mine did this and had a great time.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston to Paris via Icelandair w1 stop in Iceland question

Agree, you'll have plenty of time.

You may also want to have a look at Aer Lingus flights from Boston.

In my experience, it's better to choose the latest departure. You're more likely to get some sleep on the later flight and you don't arrive at CDG at dawn to deal with the rush hours and/or have several hours to spare before you can check into your hotel or apartment.

If you're going to drive to Logan, be sure to investigate various parking possibilities. There are less costly lots nearby than the "economy" lot at Logan. If you'll be spending a night near the airport, have a look at parksleepfly.com with great deals that include an overnight and ten to fourteen days parking. (Sometimes for the same or less than just the parking and in a much more secure area and with better service.)

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,166 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston to Paris via Icelandair w1 stop in Iceland question

We almost always do a 6:00 pm departure from Newark. With the approx six hour flight and gaining six hours we get in at 6:00 am Paris time and are generally at the hotel by 10:00 -10:30. Whether or not we can check in at that time the bonus is that it's like having one extra day in Paris! One we make the most of?

Pjs

West Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
394 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston to Paris via Icelandair w1 stop in Iceland question

Thank you so much! I LOVE the idea of staying in RKV for a bit- If we arrived there very early in the morning on the first day, how many days would give us enough time to see the biggies (Blue Lagoon, etc.). What is not to be missed? I will also post on Iceland forum!!

Thank you for the GREAT idea!

L

Boston...
Level Contributor
550 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston to Paris via Icelandair w1 stop in Iceland question

Turkish Airlines will soon be flying from Boston to Istanbul. It may end up costing several hundred dollars less. They're getting very competitive with pricing. If the layover is long enough, you can get a free tour of the city. http://www.istanbulinhours.com/

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,442 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston to Paris via Icelandair w1 stop in Iceland question

We 've flown Icelandair a number of times to Europe from Boston. Although the layover is short, the staff know that many people are changing planes and they help move them through quickly. Plus, the airport is really small. We did a stopover once for two nights and booked a hotel package on the website. Two nights was just right for relaxing and exploring Reykjavik, which is tiny. Also, do check out Aer Lingus, as their rates from Boston are usually comparable to Icelandair.

Edited: 9:43 am, December 18, 2013
9. Re: Boston to Paris via Icelandair w1 stop in Iceland question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, December 20, 2014