We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rail strike 11-13 December

Paris, France
Level Contributor
402 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rail strike 11-13 December

According to whichever company supplies such warnings to the company I work for, there is a rail strike planned in a couple of weeks; (probably too early to tell what will, and wont be working...)

"...Disruption to rail services is likely between 19.00 (local time) on 11 December and 08.00 on 13 December if a planned nationwide strike by railway workers goes ahead. Personnel should anticipate a heightened demand for alternative transport options, such as air or road travel, during this period if the walkout is widely observed. It is not yet clear if the strike will impact international rail services.

The proposed industrial action involves employees of national rail operator SNCF who are affiliated to the CGT, Unsa, Sud-Rail and FiRST unions. It has been organised to protest against proposed reforms of the railway system. Striking workers have alleged that SNCF is trying to implement reforms before a parliamentary debate, which is scheduled for the beginning of 2014..."

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rail strike 11-13 December

I certainly haven't heard about it yet, but it is good news for me, because I have a Eurostar scheduled for 8 December and a TGV scheduled for 16 December. :-)

sydney
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rail strike 11-13 December

Oh no! I have rail tickets booked to Strasbourg, will that effect my trip?

3. Re: Rail strike 11-13 December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 pm, December 07, 2013
PARIS
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rail strike 11-13 December

There have been quite a few reports on this over the past couple of weeks.

Shoes! Difficult to know how things will pan out but we'll keep you informed.

The most important thing anyway is that Kerbabe is OK!

:-D

Edited: 3:52 pm, December 02, 2013
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rail strike 11-13 December

Most long distance trains are not affected by strikes.

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Rail strike 11-13 December

A train strike usually doesn't mean there are no long-distance trains, only that there will be less trains than usual. On the main lines there are quite a few trains each day, so it is not as big a disruption as you think.

A train strike in France means far more trains than we have on a "normal" day in Western Canada..

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rail strike 11-13 December

We will be in Paris on those dates and my OH was planning to take the train to Chantilly on the 12th and 13th. Will he be able to make the journey?

I assume this would not affect a Eurostar arrival on the evening of 11 December, but please let me know if I'm wrong about that.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rail strike 11-13 December

Rbgs! The problem is that we don't know yet and won't have any idea until a couple of days before.

Eurostar will be ok but Chantilly might be more trouble than it's worth.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rail strike 11-13 December

From least to most affected by strikes: 1) International 2) TGV 3) local.

We wont know the effect of the strike probably until 2-3 days ahead of time, and even then it may change on the day itself. Personally, if I could make alternative plans ahead of time (i.e. swapping day of travel, looking at other means like bus or hire car) then I would try to do it. If you can't do that, then just keep checking to see what the situation is.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rail strike 11-13 December

Chantilly is the whole reason for the trip. He needs to spend 2 week days there and Thursday and Friday are the only weekdays we have. Maybe he could cycle (yes, I realise it's about 50km). Any ideas of where he could hire a bicycle?

I suppose we could hire a car. Would I need an international permit with my US driver's license?

In the UK, industrial disputes tend to go up to the last minute but are often settled then. Is is the same in France? Any idea when we would know which trains are running and when?