We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on location to stay

United States
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on location to stay

Hi,

We are going to visit Paris at start of December. We have a few options regarding location.

What we want is a safe and clean location, with things to do around at night (restaurants, bars) and mornings (cafes), however fairly quiet.

We already have an hotel around the Odeon area, which I understood is great. However an option to go for an apartment at a bit more than half of the hotel price came up.

- One of the options is at Rue Miollis (closer to Rue Clouet). There are 2 options souther than that that I did not include. they seem less good.

- Second one is at Rue de Chazelles‎ (closer to Rue Jadin)

- Third one is at Rue de la Chaussée d'Antin‎ (closer to Rue Joubert). There is another one a bit east that that on Rue st Lazare, but more or less same area.

What is your opinion on any of these ?

Are these in lively however quiet area which is nice to be around ?

Or should I stick with the hotel ?

Thanks,

David

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
California
Level Contributor
7,394 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on location to stay

For a short stay and a first visit, I'd stick with your hotel. If saving money is your only reason for renting an apartment, it's really not worth it (which is probably not the advice you'd expect from me, as the owner of an apartment rented to vacationers!).

Edited: 12:59 pm, November 19, 2013
United States
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on location to stay

It is a short stay (5 nights). Not really a first visit, but close (both been at Paris long, long time a go).

Could you please detail as to why you believe we should stick to the hotel ?

Is it because of the areas each are at or something else ? If so, could you please detail a bit ?

To clarify, I will be saving over 350euros for the whole stay. That is not an amount to throw away.

Edited: 1:20 pm, November 19, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,386 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on location to stay

How long are you staying? I didn't see it mentioned in your post above.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,386 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on location to stay

Never mind - now I see it's 5 days.

I think I agree with Annette on this one - and I love staying in apartments. Onereason is the fact that you have to ask, this tells me that you aren't experienced with vacation rentals.

Renting involves more hassles, that can eat into your short time in Paris. Check in and check out times are not as flexible as with a hotel, and there's usually no place to leave your luggage if you arrive earlier - or leave later. Rentals also can require reservation deposits, security deposits, cleaning fees and payments in cash. This is why it usually makes more sense to stay in a hotel for stays less than a week.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
California
Level Contributor
7,394 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on location to stay

I personally prefer Odeon to any of the other areas, which are all fine, but not as well located as Odeon is. Also, inexpensive rentals tend to leave visitors who are not familiar with the city a little isolated--they come with no daily assistance to help you with directions, suggestions or help with reservations. More deluxe rentals do come with concierge services and all the niceties that make renting an apartment a pleasant experience--but they aren't going to save you money, just offer more space and a few luxuries a hotel won't (such as a washer/dryer, ability to dine in, etc.). Also, you are looking at the very last minute for booking a decent apartment, which tells me you aren't the kind of traveler that is ideally suited to a rental. I think in your case, the hotel option would be setting yourselves up for a more enjoyable visit.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on location to stay

I also think if you don't speak and read French very well, and if in that case the apartment owners don't provide detailed information in English, you'll spend a fair bit of time just trying to figure out simple things like how to use the washer/dryer, how to navigate your way around the neighborhood, finding neighbors who can give you tips, etc. At a hotel, all that's right there at the front desk. If you speak and read French well, go for it.

United States
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on location to stay

Thanks for all the input.

I'm a bit surprised with the response pro the hotel here to be honest.

I do understand the benefits of the hotel but is Paris hard to get by ?

I do know to read and speak French, not fluently but I do not remember having problems getting by there (that said, I was much much younger, with different needs).

Also, I have rented places in the past in LA, Berlin and NY, so am familiar with the whole process.

Generally, I would have preferred an hotel if the gap was smaller, but it is twice the price, so I do have lots of doubts about it. While there may be preference for the hotel, could you please still share your input regarding the locations ?

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
New York City
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on location to stay

If you can afford a deluxe apartment, then there may not be anything to worry about, but I agree that the problems you might encounter in a rental exceed one's imagination. If it's in a charming old building, you can count on challenging locks on the apartment door, imaginative heating and plumbing controls and a washing machine that defies easy operation. You really don't want to sit around waiting for the manager to come by to figure it all out and set things straight. LA and Berlin would not prepare you for a Paris rental unless you stay at an aparthotel with a concierge on duty 24/7.

I prefer the Marais, the 4e arrondisement, because I can walk almost everywhere and rarely need the metro.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on location to stay

Have you looked at apartments via airbnb ? They could be a happy medium and many do short stays :)

10. Re: Advice on location to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 21, 2014