We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saint Paul area - Markets nearby?

Ontario
Level Contributor
145 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Saint Paul area - Markets nearby?

We have rented an apartment in the Saint Paul area (4) and were wondering what are the best markets nearby? Also, the days when they are open.

We will take suggestions for other great markets, as we love to walk through and explore. Any suggestions are appreciated....thanks!

Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from $109.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from $300.40*
$333.80
Florida
Level Contributor
17,263 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saint Paul area - Markets nearby?

http://marches.equipements.paris.fr/

Marché Baudoyer (small) and Marché Bastille (large) look to be your best bets...

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
572 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Saint Paul area - Markets nearby?

Hilde6Ontario,

Here's a link to a site that lists all the street markets in Paris by day of the week. It shows their location and hours as well.

parisianlocal.com/a-list-of-street-markets-i…

You might consider the Marche Bastille on Sunday and Thursday mornings, and the Marche Baudoyer on Wednesday afternoons and Saturday mornings. They're both near your general location. The Marche Bastille is very large, popular, and some say, becoming a bit touristy. The Marche Baudoyer is quite small, but diverse.

Sandy

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
486 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saint Paul area - Markets nearby?

The advice that I received for a Sunday in the Marais was the Marche Richard Lenoir....

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
572 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Saint Paul area - Markets nearby?

Which is actually the same as the Marche Bastille -- one street market, two names. One end of the market starts at Place de la Bastille, and it's located on Boulevard Richard Lenoir.

Sandy

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,993 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saint Paul area - Markets nearby?

It's a little bit of a walk, but the market at Maubert Mutualité (t, th, sat) is nice and there's a great cheese shop.

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
486 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saint Paul area - Markets nearby?

Biscuit....I am looking at that for my last full day (Thursday)...if the shop you are referring to is Laurent Dubois, I have a question:...Have you ever had them package cheese for you to take back to the states, if so, is there any problem/customs issues/freshness that I should be aware of before I attempt this?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Saint Paul area - Markets nearby?

Laurent Dubois does package sous-vide for travel, as do many of the established fromageries. Normally, cheese purchased in reasonable amounts for personal consumption is not restricted. Some people report having certain raw-milk cheeses confiscated at US Customs, but I never have - and I never bother with sous-vide, either, since I think it kills the cheese. Any questions about what type of cheese will travel best will be answered at the shop. There is a small Dubois shop that opened recently, near Metro St Paul. Beillevaire is nearby, too.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,993 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Saint Paul area - Markets nearby?

Thanks, Patti! We have taken it without special packaging too (just put the packages into a ziplock bag). We tend to bring back harder cheeses (haven't tried to travel with chêvre...yet).

Which reminds me, I should start a cheese thread. I am still learning my cheese.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26,214 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Saint Paul area - Markets nearby?

the rule is supposed to be that hard cheeses are allowed and soft cheeses not -- no idea how it is enforced

we came back with canned duck confit last trip and got pulled out for luggage inspection -- the last time that happened to me was in 1961 after crossing the ocean from Bremerhaven to New York. the mention of meat -- even commercially canned, triggered customs review -- they x-rayed our luggage looking for chimp bones or something

Paris, France
Level Contributor
980 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Saint Paul area - Markets nearby?

it case it wouldn't be market day, another option would be to go to rue Saint-Antoine; there are quite good shops .