We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time stay in Paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time stay in Paris

My husband and I will be travelling to Paris for the first time for 3 days as a celebration of our 2nd Anniversary. What is the best place to stay if we want to be within walking distance of all the major touristy sites and some shopping and reasonably prices restaurants?

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,437 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time stay in Paris

Avoid the Champs Elysees neighborhood and aim for the 4th, or 5th arrondissements. You're probably fine anywhere in arrondissements 1-6.

What's your budget, in Euros for a hotel, and what do you think a "reasonably priced" restaurant is, in Euros per person?

Dubai
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First time stay in Paris

For a hotel we could spend a maximum of 300 euros per nite and about 20 euros per person for a restaurant.

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
2,552 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time stay in Paris

You would not need the €300 per night hotel as you should be able to get comfortable lodging for much less, even in the center. You could then apply some of those savings to a bit better dining experience, as your estimate is a bit low for fine dining, IMHO.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time stay in Paris

Totally agree with nukesafe. Too much for hotel, too little for meals (or at least too little for dinner, in general). At any rate, there isn't a hotel that's within reasonable walking distance of all the major sites - Paris wasn't built over the centuries for the convenience of tourists. I would suggest you peruse a map or Paris, google for information about the various arrondissements, and pick a few areas that interest you, then narrow down the hotel choices within those areas.

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
486 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time stay in Paris

I would look at the Hotel Saint Andres des Arts in the 6th. Easy walking distance to Notre Dame and Sainte Chapelle, the Luxembourg Gardens and the Pantheon, and the Musee d'Orsay...as well as most of the Left Bank. Also gives you walking distance to wonderful neighborhoods in the 5th and 7th arr. While the walk to the Eiffel Tower is too far, you can walk a few minutes to the Seine for a boatride to the Tower for viewing..especially at night.

Dubai
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: First time stay in Paris

Sounds good. I could do that, spend more on dining instead.

Dubai
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: First time stay in Paris

Great suggestion, such a tremendous help. Thanks.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time stay in Paris

You may find decent accommodations for much less than 300EUR. I personally prefer Left Bank, Saint Germain - Pantheon neighborhood as it is more "historical", with shopping and museums on the Right Bank are still within a walking distance. Paris is small and cozy with inexpensive taxis and metro stations at every corner - no problem getting around. I would suggest to purchase a "museum-pass" card, as it would include visits to most museums/sites for certain amount of days (usually 3 or 6 days). Enjoy your trip!

9. Re: First time stay in Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 09, 2014