We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pont des Arts

Stranraer Scotland
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Topic
Pont des Arts

We put a lock on Pont des Arts about 4 years ago ( there must have been fewer than 200 locks on the entire bridge at the time), a decision I thoroughly regret as after returning earlier this year it was sad to see the bridge (Pont-Neuf also!!) totally and utterly decimated by at least 10,000 locks!! Will the authorities ever restore this bridge to its former glory and make it "Lock Proof"?? Heading back in January and will probably intentionally avoid it!! (Thought id be honest about my past error in judgement)

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
444 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pont des Arts

You're forgiven.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pont des Arts

There are well more than 10,000 locks on the damn thing now. I was actually struck dumb when I saw it last week. It's simply an abomination.

Stranraer Scotland
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pont des Arts

HA thanks but i never seen it as a capital crime, just hope someday they restore the bridge, the biggest problem seems to be the hawkers selling the locks to the tourists feeding the problem exceptionally ( I brought mine with me to "mark" our engagement back in 2010) ! Perhaps if they are able to stop them put a fine in place for "defacers" it may halt it, but yes we were also dumbstruck at the sheer numbers!!! The "love bridge" seems now to be figure of hate for many!

Level Contributor
8,113 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pont des Arts

we saw this by accident and it is an eyesore and actually it is spreading along the seine's banks.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pont des Arts

Some people REALLY need to get a life that is more productive than destructive. True love has absolutely NOTHING to do with defacing a structure that was once beautiful.

Take the cost of the lock and give it to a worthy charity ...

Level Contributor
8,113 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pont des Arts

this topic seems to have been hashed over a million times on various forums which is giving it way too much attention...which is just the desired effect. And then I post twice on the thread??? No more.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pont des Arts

I see the locks all over the touristy parts of Paris now. The problem with making the Pont des Arts lockproof is that now they would have to do the same thing to at least a dozen other bridges as well as fences near some of the other monuments.

I have even seen a growing number of padlocks on the Passerelle Simone de Beauvoir connecting the 12th and 13th arrondissements.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pont des Arts

Last month, I crossed the Pont de Archeveche (at the south end of the Ile de la Cite, that passes next to the Deportation memorial), and couldn't believe what I saw. It was totally covered with locks. The craziest thing was a large bicycle lock with maybe 100 small locks attached. The only explanation I could think of was that it was supplied by a lock seller who found that there was no more room on the actual bridge rail.

-- Steve

Level Contributor
8,113 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pont des Arts

I would say along with apartment rental regulation they need to protect the beauty that we all come to Paris to enjoy.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,485 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pont des Arts

Falkensmaze,

In response to your... " just hope someday they restore the bridge"... - " they" means tax paying Parisians.

I just hope more and more tourists ( they're the culprits) will understand that their action defaces the city we all love and want to preserve.