We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parisian cuisine for my fussy husband...

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
The Lake District
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Parisian cuisine for my fussy husband...

Hello All. I'm hope you can advise. I am extremely keen to book a three night stay in Paris for my Husbands birthday. I'm just a little concerned about the food, I have no idea what to expect. I love pretty much everything but my husband isnt at all adventurous. He will eat chicken and beef... no fish. Any feedback would really be appreciated.

Edited: 8:54 am, October 31, 2013
warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Parisian cuisine for my fussy husband...

Does he like ham and cheese? Practically everything sold in a boulangerie or in street cafes will be filled with ham and cheese. Baguettes, croque monsieurs, crepes, pizza, quiche, croissants, etc.

Parisians have a thousand different ways to sell you ham, cheese or ham and cheese.

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
176 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parisian cuisine for my fussy husband...

I'm that person too, only worse, I eat very little beef. Never had a problem finding something I liked in the three days I was in Paris. My favorite food throughout the whole trip was the ham and cheese baguettes from the street vendors. Grabbed those and a bottle or two of wine and sat on our balcony watching the Eiffel tower twinkle. Also took them to the park for lunch. Oh, and I had a wonderful vegetable soup at one café.

The Lake District
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parisian cuisine for my fussy husband...

Yes he does! That's good to know.

What about evenings? I'm not 100% sure on what French cuisine actually is?..... :)

California
Level Contributor
5,586 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parisian cuisine for my fussy husband...

No worries--I usually choose chicken or beef, and restaurants always have at least one or the other, if not both options. Also, menus are always posted outside the establishment, so you can check for options before entering (however many places don't list their daily specials on the printed menu outside, and I found myself ordering the beef specials quite often during our recent trip).

Edited: 9:28 am, October 31, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,450 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parisian cuisine for my fussy husband...

a classic French bistro food is steak frittes -- hanger steak and french fries with a bit of salad on the plate.

another classic is duck confit which is a quarter of a slow cooked duck crisped under the broiler -- also served with fries and salad. you can also get roasted chicken many places.

but steak/frittes is a go to for a grownup who is also a 'fussy eater'

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
3,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parisian cuisine for my fussy husband...

Note that hanger steak (bavette, flank or skirt) is usually served rare, as it becomes too tough if cooked for longer, plus I believe it can have quite a strong offal taste due to the proximity of it to the kidneys/liver.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,900 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parisian cuisine for my fussy husband...

Speaking of kidneys/liver, I'd learn the names of some of the dishes with these ingredients, so you don't accidentatlly order something like that thinking it's meat :-)

Edited: 9:48 am, October 31, 2013
The Lake District
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parisian cuisine for my fussy husband...

Steak and chips it is for him then! ;-) Such a shame as I love fish and I will need a moules marinière fix whilst I'm there. I'm hoping that there will be Italian options too?

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Parisian cuisine for my fussy husband...

At Leon de Bruxelles you can have your moules and they'll do him a steak.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,679 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parisian cuisine for my fussy husband...

Menus are posted outside and it is very easy to find places that serve beef and chicken and have fish/seafood options too.

And there many many Italian restaurants and other various cuisines.