We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RER ticket validation issue

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
RER ticket validation issue

I would like to depart Paris on Friday via the RER to CDG. I usually take the elevator from rue Xavier Privas (St-Michel) right to the train platform since I've got luggage and don't have to do stairs, plus it's cheap, fast and right near my apt. Only problem is the single validation machine is not working. The door, however, is open and people are just walking through. If I am unable to get my ticket validated but get on the train anyway, does anyone know if I am just left to luck, a smile and a little charm to avoid the consequences of an invalidated ticket? I am well aware of the various Plan B's for getting to the airport. Opinions?

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RER ticket validation issue

You will absolutely be halted by the turnstile at CDG if the ticket isn't validated when you enter the system. You'll have to enter through a different sortie if the turnstile isn't working to validate your ticket.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,528 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RER ticket validation issue

I would get it validated at another gate and then walk through

The emergency validation strategy is to write the time and date on the ticket and immediately find a conductor on the train to show it too. I have done this on regular intercity trains and have had it work but I don't know if it would work on the RER which has few inspectors.

I'd play it safe and get it stamped at another gate first. (I have entered at a wrong gate before and had to leave and re-enter at a different gate and an agent has always let me in with my newly stamped ticket.

The RER/metro system is pretty merciless when it comes to riding with unvalidated tickets and you need to insert the validated ticket to exit at CDG

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RER ticket validation issue

Actually, I don't think so. The same way a Navigo works to get out of the RER even when you haven't validated it to get it, I think the tickets work, too. It's all a question of whether the correct fare has been paid. To avoid problems, you might want to take a photo of the open gate to show any ticket checkers or in case you have to use the call button to get out of the RER at CDG.

Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RER ticket validation issue

Thanks for your responses. I also asked at the RER info desk at St-Michel and (just to add to the pool of information for other travelers) he said that I will not be stopped by the turnstile at CDG and that if I should be stopped by an inspector I should just explain that the validation machine isn't functioning. He said that the inspector might call the St-Michel station for verification but not to worry about it. I like your idea, Kerouac, about the photo -- just to be safe.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RER ticket validation issue

The photo excuse might work but I seriously doubt you'll get any love from the ticket inspectors if challenged.

The electronic entry-exit system is automated and not prone to bursts of understanding and compassion. If you enter the system with an unvalidated ticket and attempt to exit it through a turnstile at CDG, you will almost certainly be subjected to a loud buzzer, blocked passage, and ultimately, a call through the red phone which will almost certainly lead to a penalty of some sort - unless you are willing to bank on K2's photo solution. In any case, the plane is leaving and you're still in the RER if things don't go swimmingly.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,190 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RER ticket validation issue

I can confirm that you will be able to get out of the system if your ticket isn't validated. Just this evening I was in Châtelet-les-Halles and there was a huge jam at the turnstile. None of the machines were accepting tickets, only Navigo cards. The gates were open so I just walked through, realizing that I was traveling with an unvalidated ticket and subject to a fine if I was checked. When I arrived at my stop I took out my unvalidated ticket and put it in the turnstile and it worked just fine. This was on RER A.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RER ticket validation issue

Believe who you choose. The system is unforgiving. You will be taking a risk.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: RER ticket validation issue

Nuts.

Nutts!

Chill.

Go through another entrance (you'll no doubt survive even with your suitcase).

Validate the ticket and instead of fretting on the journey to CDG use the time to mull over your fab trip to Paris.

Bon voyage.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,681 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: RER ticket validation issue

I'd validate the ticket to avoid any issues, if going to airport.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RER ticket validation issue

Since there is no video for "What do the sheep say?" we'll just relax with the Norwegian fox video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jofNR_WkoCE