We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After Cat Cafe - Dog art

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,725 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
After Cat Cafe - Dog art

I was pretty upset yesterday when I went to an exhibit at the Pompidou and it included a live dog. People were constantly surrounding him and trying to touch him and it was just awful.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: After Cat Cafe - Dog art

What was the exhibit?

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,620 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: After Cat Cafe - Dog art

Sounds sad indeed but not as much as circuses which are still not banned from using animals in France unlike some (too few) countries. When you know the torture and terror these wild animals must go through to be 'tamed', all that for the entertainment of supposedly civilized people.

:-(

At least a dog is a social being used to being surrounded by people. But the way you describe it sounds like it's quite a pathetic form of 'art'.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,725 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: After Cat Cafe - Dog art

Pierre Huyghe is the exhibition.

Mrs FM, I agree, but I can choose not to support those circuses by not going. I had no idea about the dog, and while it is a domestic animal, because it was a work if art people insisted on touching his fuschia painted leg, even if he would shy away and they had no problem letting their kids chase pursue him.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,620 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: After Cat Cafe - Dog art

Yes I agree, that sounds like this type of exhibition should not be allowed based on how it's handled and what you describe. Thanks for letting us know. It is true that one would not necessarily imagine there would be live animals in an art museum. Another sad example of animals being objectified.

I did a google search after your OP and found out it was Pierre Huyghe. It seems like there might even be a live baby deer as part of his exhibition...? :-/

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: After Cat Cafe - Dog art

It's art darlings ART!

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,437 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: After Cat Cafe - Dog art

Oh how horrible!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: After Cat Cafe - Dog art

phread - I saw a photo in the paper that advertised this show, but I thought a dog that emaciated could not possibly be real. Even "un levrier", bred for speed and the hunt...Did you know it was a real dog before you went to the show?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,644 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: After Cat Cafe - Dog art

It may be "Art" but it's still pretty sad. I found this description of the dog:

<<which also includes a live pink-legged greyhound (Human) running around between the works>>

Here's more: unlockparis.com/2013/10/pierre-huyghe-at-cen…

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,725 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: After Cat Cafe - Dog art

Patty, I had no idea. I was at the museum for Lichtenstein. Mr French wanted to see Huyghe, too, so I went. Knowing nothing about it. You're right, the dog did not look real. Even after seeing it move, I wasn't sure.

Mrs FM. I didn't see a deer in the room, but I saw one in a film the artist was showing. The dog was also in the film. So was a statute being infested with a beehive, which was on display in the show, live bees included, so it is very possible there was a deer and it was just on break. There were also humans walking around with masks, but they got breaks. The dog didn't.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,197 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: After Cat Cafe - Dog art

That dog does not look healthy. I can see why you were upset. We have a therapy dog who visits nursing home patients, and he enjoys it but he is done after about an hour. I can't imagine a dog wanting to be chased around by annoying children all day.