We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paranoid or just weird?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Paranoid or just weird?

We just arrived this morning. After reading the forums for months, I feel fairly warned about securing my belongings, which I've done.

Had a weird experience this morning, though. While waiting alone in CDG with DH's and my luggage, I pulled out my phone to make a call. On two separate occasions, I saw out of the corner of my eye a man approach me and get within my personal space. On both occasions as soon as I lifted my head and made eye contact, they veered away. Neither man was carrying baggage and didn't look as though they were obviously traveling.

Please don't jump on me! I'm not a nervous Nellie, but both incidents felt really odd. Am I off or is phone stealing that blatant? (surely not?)

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Paranoid or just weird?

What type of phone do you have?

Florida
Level Contributor
17,082 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paranoid or just weird?

Could be just that blatant. No reason for he/them to be standing close to you. Could have been weighing whether to grab one of the bags or not. I would have been suspicious as well, not paranoid.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,082 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paranoid or just weird?

I might add that whenever we need to separate while we are in transit with our bags, one of us always puts a wall to our back so we only have to keep an eye for what/who is in front.... and no, that is not paranoid just careful.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,616 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Paranoid or just weird?

If your instinct told you that these men were up to no good then it is possible they were although I doubt it was about stealing your phone. This type of theft is usually a very fast grab and run taking you by surprise, not a slow approach. But you never know...

It could also be that people's sense of private space is different in different cultures. So I have no idea what this was about but it sounds like you are a sensible person and did the right thing as soon as you felt uncomfortable. I suggest you continue being the way you are ie alert but not panicky and everything should go well. Have a great stay in Paris!

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Paranoid or just weird?

A client of mine had a similar experience on the train she takes every day from the suburbs to Paris.

She felt a similar unease and thought maybe the two men she encountered left her alone when they saw she had an old iphone.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paranoid or just weird?

Thanks all. I have an iphone 5s. My personal space is a bit bigger than most in a large city, but I was standing by a blank wall with nothing else for these men to be heading towards.

So excited to be here! Will try to pull out the phone rarely:)

7. Re: Paranoid or just weird?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 pm, October 06, 2013
Edited: 3:05 pm, October 06, 2013
Florida
Level Contributor
17,082 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paranoid or just weird?

The thing is, if he had grabbed and run with the phone, her choice would have been to chase him and leave the luggage (she referred to 'they' so apparently there was a second person in the mix), or she would have had to let the phone go to stay with the bags. So a 'snatch and grab' would have been entirely possible. There are several threads warning visitors to take caution using newer popular smart phones.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Paranoid or just weird?

Yes do be careful with phones in public places.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,616 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Paranoid or just weird?

I don't know much about iphones but if I am not mistaken I think this model just came out a few days ago in France so it could have been curiosity trying to see if it was indeed an iphone 5s. Still, it's weird behavior but there are some weird people out there :)

EDIT: Yes, travelnutty's explanation makes sense: the good old distraction technique. Airports and stations are the best places for such crimes I suppose.

Edited: 9:42 am, October 06, 2013