We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Channel from Paris to London

Palermo, California
9 posts
Save Topic
The Channel from Paris to London

Which is better to take: the plane or the Channel to London from? Are the prices about the same?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,250 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Channel from Paris to London

Travelling city centre to city centre, the Eurostar train is the better choice, as it is faster and easier than flying.

For both train and plane, the price depends on how far ahead you book.

Palermo, California
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The Channel from Paris to London

Thanks! So what would you recommend on when we should purchase our tickets for the train? How many days/weeks in advance??

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,185 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Channel from Paris to London

I totally agree, take the Eurostar( thats what the train is called) . You travel city center to city center saving not having to commute in and out of cities to airports ( which adds a lot of time to seemingly shorter flight time) .

I always book 3 months out and get good deals.

Book directly with www.eurostar.com for most choices ( some sites like Raileurope only list some of the scheduled departures , and can sometimes charge alot more)

I always order pick up tickets .

If you order pick up tickets you MUST bring the CC you used to book ticket with to pick up tickets.

Ps make sure to pick up picnic goods for snacking on train, everyone does.. and no, you do not need to go first class for a pleasant trip , if trying to save money second class is perfectly comforable.

Edited: 1:47 am, October 05, 2013
Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,396 posts
648 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Channel from Paris to London

the advice you have received so far is accurate and very helpful, i would only add that you can print your tickets (from Eurostar site) at home. the tickets have a bar code that you scan to gain entry to the Eurostar station facility - i find it much more convenient to have the tickets with me than picking up at station - especially if you are pressed for time.

also as previously stated the earlier you purchase your tickets (up to 3 months ahead of travel) the cheaper the fare - you are also able to select your seats when purchasing.....................

have a great trip !

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: The Channel from Paris to London

The English Channel (French: la Manche, Breton: Mor Breizh, Cornish: Mor Bretannek), often referred to simply as the Channel, is an arm of the Atlantic Ocean that separates southern England from northern France, and joins the North Sea to the Atlantic. It is about 560 km (350 mi) long and varies in width from 240 km (150 mi) at its widest to 33.1 km (20.6 mi) in the Strait of Dover.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
10,237 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Channel from Paris to London

There you go, you get a geography lesson thrown in for free!

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The Channel from Paris to London

"There you go, you get a geography lesson thrown in for free!"

:-D

8. Re: The Channel from Paris to London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, October 07, 2014