We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orly Airport to Paris Centre, public transportation question

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Orly Airport to Paris Centre, public transportation question

Hello there!

Husband and I will come to Orly-Sud in the middle of October and the question is related to -how to get to Paris center using public transportation?

I've searched the Internet and found the answer to my question on www.aeroportsdeparis.fr, BUT there is still something which I'm not quite sure about.

Since we realized that France is really expensive, it seams unbelievable that ticket for BUS 285 which will lead us to Villejuif - Louis Aragon metro station is only 1.9 eur. Also, other ways of transportation mentioned on the same web site are more expensive. Hence, I'm little bit worried that we are missing something.

Do we?

Thanks a lot,

Milica

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,256 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orly Airport to Paris Centre, public transportation question

You are not missing anything.

2. Re: Orly Airport to Paris Centre, public transportation question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:35 am, October 03, 2013
Edited: 5:35 am, October 03, 2013
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,677 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orly Airport to Paris Centre, public transportation question

Yes, the standard bus fare applies on the 285; you can even use a t+ ticket on it.

You will have to search for the stop though; according to the map it is not outside the terminal at Orly-Sud but on the main N7 road which passes the Airport (I haven't been to Orly Airport myself so I cannot advise further on this).

Another alternative is the 183 bus which starts from outside the Terminal and goes to Porte de Choisy, which is on Métro line 7 (the Mairie d'Ivry branch). This also charges the standard bus fare and accepts t+ tickets.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orly Airport to Paris Centre, public transportation question

wirewiper, you're saying that a t+ ticket will work in zone-4 (ORLY)?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,256 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orly Airport to Paris Centre, public transportation question

The t+ tickets work on any RATP buses (except Roissybus).

Florida
Level Contributor
17,117 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orly Airport to Paris Centre, public transportation question

Topic is veering slightly but a followup to Sydneynick - why then do buses 350 & 351 from CDG require 3 tickets?

Or maybe it is that you can use T+ tickets but how many are required may vary...?

Edited: 7:11 am, October 03, 2013
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,677 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orly Airport to Paris Centre, public transportation question

<<< wirewiper, you're saying that a t+ ticket will work in zone-4 (ORLY)? >>>

I'm saying that a t+ will work on a RATP BUS in zone 4.

My understanding is that One t+ ticket can be used on any RATP bus except Roissybus and OrlyBus which have their own fares, and the 350/351 to CDG (which require 3 t+ tickets rather than one).

Some non-RATP bus services in the outer areas of Ile-de-France also accept t+, but you may need to use one, two or three tickets depending on length of journey.

Please correct me if I have understood wrongly.

Edited: 8:50 am, October 03, 2013
Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Orly Airport to Paris Centre, public transportation question

The reason I ask is, we've never been able to use a t+ ticket outside of zone 1,2 unless it was for travel within a zone. For instance, a t+ is usable from a zone-4 to a zone-4 bus ride but zone-4 to zone-1 required a point to point ticket. The last time we took the bus to IKEA, the bus driver sold us a €3+ ticket to zone-5. She specifically said that a t+ from our carnet wouldn't work. Same goes for the T-2 tramway. You can get on at Port de Versailles in zone-1 but as soon as you pass Les Moulineaux into zone-3, the turnstiles won't let you out of the stations. The trams and buses are combined in their ticketing scheme allowing transfers, etc. so it stands to reason that the bus driver was correct. No? The bus "plan de ligne" shows the zones by "zone tarifaire 4" for ORLY. Why would they show that if a zone-1 fare will work in other zones?

We almost never take a bus outside zone-2 so I'd love to know if anyone can answer this.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,677 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Orly Airport to Paris Centre, public transportation question

My understanding (that word again!) is that the zones are shown for 'Mobilis' passes - unlike London, Mobilis passes are only accepted on buses and trams in the zones for which they are valid.

I did actually start my own thread about this, and the answers seemed to confirm that a t+ can be used on any RATP bus* or tram in the same way they can in Central Paris. Here's a link to my thread:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…53179948

* with the exceptions listed above, namely Roissybus, Orlybus and 350/351 to CDG

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Orly Airport to Paris Centre, public transportation question

Not challenging you wirewiper. I just want to know how it actually works. The RATP will fine you if you take the RER to La Défense on a t+ ticket but not if you take the métro. it's just hard for me to believe they'd relax that requirement when crossing zones on a bus.

Another consideration - on a train, the RATP can catch you at a turnstile but on a bus, only the RATP ticket inspectors can catch you so it's possible to go months without having your ticket examined if you take a bus.

It's always been my understanding that a three-digit bus number automatically means that the bus will cross fare zones and the rider is responsible for adherence to the rules. I'd still like to see something conclusive on this. I'm not placing this on you wirewiper. I just want to know.