We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas 2013 in Paris.

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, FL
Level Contributor
6 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas 2013 in Paris.

Planning Christmas in Paris.

Hotel budget up to US$650 per night.

Will be there 6-7 days.

Have been in Paris before for three days and seen the major tourist sites.

Would like to stay central but experience Christmas in Paris like a local mid life couple upper middle class.

Suggestions? Also, suggestions for day trips? Thank-you :)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas 2013 in Paris.

Well, if you want to "experience Christmas in Paris like a local mid life couple upper middle class" - type person would, you would need to go spend the holidays chez grandmere, preferably at the family home in Normandy or at the chalet in Chamonix...

However, that may not be possible, and is probably not what you had in mind.

Seriously, Christmas is traditionally a family get-together holiday - other than that, people go all-out for a fancy dinner or two (or more) and eat much more foie gras and oysters and drink much more champagne than they would the rest of the year. It's all about "putting on the Ritz", any way that suits your fancy, no matter what your budget. Many restaurants will close for all or part of the holidays - those that remain open usually offer special holiday menus. Hotel restaurants are open, and the deluxe ones really put on a good show at holiday time.

Le Meurice is a very nice hotel, and offers packages that would fall within your range - other luxury hotels do as well, so it's worth checking around. Or, you could spend less on a moderate-but-very-nice-hotel, and really splurge for a few high-end meals in deluxe restaurants (or deluxe hotel restaurants). Whatever you decide, you should book as far in advance as possible, since the more popular places fill up fast.

ParisByMouth and ChowHoundFrance are very good sites for restaurant information, and usually have information regarding holiday closures.

bon voyage et joyeuses fetes

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
6 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas 2013 in Paris.

Dear pattyinparis:

Thank-you so much for your input.

Unfortunately, you are right, we do not have the grandmother nor the chalet but will certainly enjoy looking at the two sites you suggested.

Merci

atlanta
Level Contributor
13 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas 2013 in Paris.

You might check Horel Lutece. Close to Le Bon Marche. Great area for shopping and restaurants

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
6 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas 2013 in Paris.

Dear dwaNtheATL,

Thank-you for your suggestion. I looked up their website and the place seemed real homey. Good price point as well. Only concern is the reviews regarding very small rooms - but then again it is Paris!

Thanks!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas 2013 in Paris.

Happy - just so you don't feel too bad about room size, the only really large rooms will be found in "les palaces" (what the French call the ultra-grand hotels, those where kings, princes and their entourages stay). I have only seen these in photos, since I will never have enough money to even cross the threshold of "un palace".

Size matters, of course, but since most tourists spend their time out and about, it really is not that important, when you think about it. Look instead for a warm ambiance, decor and amenities that please you, and a decent bathroom. You should be able to find many choices in your price range.

6. Re: Christmas 2013 in Paris.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 am, December 02, 2013
Edited: 10:05 am, December 02, 2013
Stuttgart, Germany
Level Contributor
5 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas 2013 in Paris.

Wow... you're doing good! I just booked my hotel reservation through hotwire and will be staying at the Novotel. Here is one of the links I have found for Christmas in Paris: parislogue.com/featured-articles/christmas-i…

I'm also looking forward to checking out the Christmas Markets (I'm an American living in Germany which has got to be the KING of Christmas marketing! Here's another link about Christmas markets in Paris.... …parisinfo.com/discovering-paris/major-event…

As for me, this is my 4th time to Paris, but the last time was in June 2002. I am planning to go see the Louvre again (haven't been there since 1980) and to the Musee Dorsay. While I had a lot of options for where to spend Christmas this year, I decided to head to Paris for the photo ops. Photography is a passion of mine, so I hope to get some good photos while I am there. I am hoping to take in a Christmas Eve Service at Notre Dame. Here's a link to their services: www.notredamedeparis.fr/spip.php?article1728

Otherwise... I may do a hop-on, hop-off bus. No real plans, just to go - have a good time - relax and enjoy the City of Lights at Christmas time! If you see a mid-50's woman in a Red & Black Jack Wolfskin Coat taking photos... that just may be me. *smiles*

Thetford, United...
Level Contributor
545 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas 2013 in Paris.

<<While I had a lot of options for where to spend Christmas this year, I decided to head to Paris for the photo ops. Photography is a passion of mine, so I hope to get some good photos while I am there.>>

Kjfrozen, I share your passion and I will also be wandering around Paris this Christmas trying to get some decent shots. My big dilemma is what equipment to bring as I don't want to be carrying a heavy load. I love my b&w film photography so I may leave my DSLR at home and take 3 smaller (older) film bodies with me. That way I can load up with different film for different lighting conditions. Look out for a guy with a bag full of old Pentax SLR's.

Good shooting.

Stuttgart, Germany
Level Contributor
5 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas 2013 in Paris.

LOL! I too have the same dilemma and do not want to be lugging around my DSLR. I'm going to settle for taking my TWO Canon SX280's and my Canon SX500 (for the zoom capabilities). I will also have probably my iPad Mini as an alternate back up. I have extra batteries for the SX280's and plenty of SD cards... so I feel like I am prepared. (Just need to make sure all the batteries are charged and all the SD cards are clean of old photos). I've been doing an annual European Calendar to give to family and friends as Christmas presents while I've been living in Germany, I guess it is about time to add a picture of Paris (next year). How long will you be in Paris? I'm hopping on the fast train (from Stuttgart to Paris) on the 21st and will return to Germany on the 26th.

Thetford, United...
Level Contributor
545 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas 2013 in Paris.

Only a short trip due to work commitments. We'll be going on the early Eurostar train on the 24th and returning late on the 27th. I won't need any sd cards but I will need to keep my rolls of film safe from the security x-ray machines. Hope the weather and light are good.