We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Metro Tickets

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Burbank
Level Contributor
343 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Buying Metro Tickets

Hi..I am planning to be in Paris for a few days next month and I had a question about buying metro tickets. once arriving in Gare Du Nord, if I wanted to buy a two day pass, can I do that? For the metro. Or do I buy a day at a time? i will only be there maybe 2-3 days. I've ridden the metro before but had the help of a friend with the ticket situation. I have not found the ticket booth people to be very helpful, and once was accosted by a band of three macho police on the metro searching for reasons to torment people and they gave me a very hard time because I had my foot resting on one of the chairs, barking at me in French, and demanded to see my ticket. I just want to be prepared if I meet any hostility or indifference which unfortunately happened last time.

Of course, this time no foot on the chair.

I am OK with paying per day..as long as I understand how to do it.

Also, if I want to take a day trip out to the countryside, like Versailles, how do I go about purchasing the additional train ticket return trip...? Will there be clearly marked ticket booths/machines?

Thanks in advance!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,573 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying Metro Tickets

Sera,, ok, just saw this post, you do need help,, I want you to read the link I put on other post ( Versailles).

Since you have only 2 days I really can't recommend Versailles unless you have a burning desire to see it specifically,, Paris can eat up two days by itself.

Depending on where you are staying you may find a carnet of tickets will do you just fine. A carnent is simply ten loose one way tickets , good for bus or metro, sold together,, at a discount to buying them singly , Its about 13 euros I think. You can stand in line and get one from a manned kiosk, or from a machine( if you roll the bar on the machine it does english, so easy to use.) Ten one ways is probably more then you really need though,, depending on where you are staying (?) you may find you can walk to alot of attractions.. if that is the case just buy some tickets singly from a machine or manned window.

A carnet can also be purchased at many Tabacs.. you just go to the cashier and ask for un carnet ( car nay) svp.. if they ask RER?metro? you say metro.

A ticket to Versailles is just that, a seperate ticket just for Versailles you want a Versailles "aller retour" which is two tickets .. one to get you there and one to get you back.. think they are about 3 or 4 euros each now.

Burbank
Level Contributor
343 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying Metro Tickets

Great...thank you. I've been to Paris a couple of times and I know the places I would like to check out again, and some new..I will need to take some metro trips to get to them all. Versailles is not necessary, just an idea...thanks again!

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,034 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying Metro Tickets

On the RATP website, switch to English...there is an informative brochure you can download (in English) with instructions on riding the Metro, tickets, etc.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying Metro Tickets

Those officials "barking at you in French" (what language would you expect them to be using?) are always in the métro system checking to see if you have valid tickets. If you don't, expect to be issued a fairly hefty fine payable on the spot. So make sure you hang onto your ticket until you exit the system (and do discard used tickets once out of it).

Everything you need to know about public transport in Paris is here: www.ratp.fr and here: www.parisbytrain.com

5. Re: Buying Metro Tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 13, 2014