We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some advise - Fly to Paris - London - Italy

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Need some advise - Fly to Paris - London - Italy

I need some advise here.

Option 1 : Fly to paris and take the eurostar to london and fly to italy and fly back to paris.

Option 2 : Fly to London and take the eurostar to paris and fly to italy and fly back to london.

I wanna go to paris , London and maybe rome + milan in italy, got any better options ?

Do i need to buy any rail pass ? Im traveling in Feb'14, any chances of train not operating due to snow ?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need some advise - Fly to Paris - London - Italy

Why don't you take an open-jaw ticket, so as to avoid backtracking? These days, they are no longer more expensive than return tickets, normally. You could then do the journey heading west or heading east depending on what is more affordable.

As for cities options, it all depends how much time you have (plus your interests, obviously).

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
9,186 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need some advise - Fly to Paris - London - Italy

None of them. In both options you keep retracing back to London or Paris.

Buy multi-city flight tickets - to London or Rome and back from Paris or different order but without returning to original city. It is waste of time and usually involves staying overnight (hotel) in a city before flight back home.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27,172 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need some advise - Fly to Paris - London - Italy

we have been using open jaw tickets for annual trips to Europe for the last 20 years or more. they are not more expensive than round trips and they save time and money backtracking. I'd fly into London, take the Eurostar to Paris, take an Easyjet to Florence (Pisa) or Rome and then fly home from Rome.

you can also price the ticket with 3 or 4 stops e.g. London, fly Paris, fly Florence, fly out of Rome, but in my experience the very cheap carriers like Easyjet or Vueling within Europe will work better on price.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need some advise - Fly to Paris - London - Italy

Agreed. We just booked a

Chicago to Paris

Paris to Venice

Istanbul to Chicago

And it was not much more expensive than the R/T Chicago to Paris flight even with the extra Paris - Venice leg.

B.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need some advise - Fly to Paris - London - Italy

Agree with the open-jaw (multi-city) concept. And no, you don't need a rail pass, especially as you seem to be flying between the major cities - just point-to-point tickets between cities, unless you're staying a very long time and making dozens of train trips.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,413 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need some advise - Fly to Paris - London - Italy

I'd fly to London, train to Paris, train to Milan, train to Rome, fly home from Rome.

No need to buy any rail passes. If you book as soon as they open (120 days for London - Paris and 90 days for the others) you can get some very good fares.

Of course travelling in Europe in February does risk weather-related delays (after all it is our coldest month), but the main routes are kept clear as much as possible. In fact in such conditions, trains seem to fare better than planes!

For trains London to Paris: www.eurostar.com

For trains Paris - Milan: www.capitainetrain.com (you need to sign up to create an account, which is free)

For Milano - Roma you have a choice of Trenitalia or their competitor, Italo.

www.trenitalia.com

www.italotren.it

Edited: 12:46 pm, September 10, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
calofornia
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need some advise - Fly to Paris - London - Italy

Doing it right now. Flew to London took Eurostar to Paris 80 bucks 2.5 hours. Leaving Paris to fly to Florence on vueling airlines for 50.00 euros. There are many regional carriers in Europe super cheap to fly. Did 3 nights London 3 nighta Paris 3 nights italy and will fly to the states returning from Rome. So my state flight was round trip sfo London , Rome sfo. Everything else regional.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need some advise - Fly to Paris - London - Italy

I'll agree with everyone else. Fly to London and home from Rome. Or the other way around.

Try to book your train between London and Paris early - I understand they start offering tickets 120 days in advance. I just booked with Eurostar and waited too long so my tickets were around 120 Euro but had I book earlier I could have gotten them much cheaper.

I was in Europe about 4 years ago and travelled from Paris to Rome and from Venice to Paris on cheap regional airlines. We opted for the flights because the trains were very long trips. At that time we booked with RyanAir (Paris to Rome) and MyAir (Venice to Paris). Others have recommended a couple of airlines above. At the time whenI was planning my travel I just googled cheap flights between Paris and Venice and came across a few websites that suggested which budget regional airlines had the best prices.

Hope that helps. Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
752 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need some advise - Fly to Paris - London - Italy

I agree with tmr11, Fly to London and home from Rome. Or the other way around. Check out Easyjet flights instead of Eurostar. Easyjet is quicker and cheaper but buy your flight as early as possible and you might get a REAL bargain! Ryanair is OK too but read the terms and conditions.

We all have our preferences but for me Venice is the best destination in Europe but February is the worst month to go anywhere in Europe, unless you're skiing. In Feb I might prefer the Costa del Sol in Spain - by far the best weather at that time of year.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Spain
Spain
Europe
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
9,186 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need some advise - Fly to Paris - London - Italy

Actually, for travel between London and Paris I strongly recommend Eurostar train- not flight. It takes 2hr. 20 min. from centre of London to centre of Paris and if you buy far in advance- tickets are cheaper.

For flights you would have to get to further airports and that takes time and money.

For the further distances ( Rome, Milan or Venice) flying is the right way.

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy