We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palace of Versailles

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Palace of Versailles

Hi there,

I'll be in Paris for the first time in three weeks. We will be there for a week. I want to spend a day and go to the Palace of Versailles. We plan on taking a train there and doing our own thing. I checked out the website and saw the different tickets they have to offer. My dilemma is do we purchase tickets in advance or will be ok waiting to purchase tickets when we get there?

I had a friend visit back in April and she waited 2.5 hours to get in. I'm not really trying to do that. Any ways to avoid that? Or is the time of year we are going not as busy?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Burbank
Level Contributor
343 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Palace of Versailles

What metro station does this train leave from?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,145 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Palace of Versailles

Sera... this train goes on a line through Paris, stopping at many stations.. lets make this simple, which metro/RER station is closest to your hotel, just look on hotel website,, or apartment website, this sort of info is almost always listed.

If we know where you are then we can tell you how to get to Versailles.

May I suggest you please read this site, its will simplify the metro/rer system for you,, I am not sure you understand how it works. Its a great site, very easy to understand.

www.parisbytrain.com

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
635 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Palace of Versailles

Joan . I didn't say it's the official ticket office . it's just a place where people buy tickets to the palace . anyway , why to complicate people's lives while they come here just to seek info ? we exit the train station , we see some place to buy a ticket from and visit the palace . that's it .

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
635 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Palace of Versailles

St. Cirq . I just returned from Paris and I know it's Versailles Rives Guaches . "Chatteaux Versailles " is usually added by operators to inform people that this is the station to leave to the palace .

"And since Rabih has posted incorrect information on this site previously ... " . NO COMMENT .

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
6,016 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Palace of Versailles

have never purchased a ticket in advance for Versailles - I have been there several times in the off-season (Nov, Dec, Jan), and once in September. For me, I prefer standing in line for 30-40 minutes before opening hours to having advanced tickets - I don't really like pre-planning, plus in November, it might rain - and with a 3 week visit, you may want to have some flexibility to pick the day when you feel like it and the weather feels like it ;-) (a nonrainy day is better so you can explore the gardens/town)

Aye, Rabih,...all of us (myself included) posted incorrect information on this site previously LOL

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,145 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Palace of Versailles

I didn't consider it complicating to give the full information. People can choose what is right for them if they know all the options,, I give people on here credit for making their own decisions and just try and provide all the information I am capable of , i don't assume anyone needs to be given only the "easiest" answer ..

Its like the transport from airport question. Whats the best way to get from CDG to Paris.. Well , best is subjective.. cheapest( and sometimes fastest) is RER, easiest is Taxi.. I provide both suggestions.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
635 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Palace of Versailles

right Rasteriasha . but the trouble happens when someone chases you from one post to another just to criticize your posts . lolllllllllllllllllll .

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
62 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Palace of Versailles

Will the lines be shorter around 2pm, maybe more people go there in the mornings?

Tustin, California
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Palace of Versailles

Thank you all for your tips on the ticket and security lines at Versailles. I will be going later this month and will be using my museum pass, so do I have to stand in the ticket line? Can I go directly to the security line? Also, there is no water show, so do I still have to buy an add on ticket for the gardens?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,145 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Palace of Versailles

Dee no need to stand in ticket line with Museum Pass.. go straight to security line. Note it can be long if you arrive at wrong time. . best to go very early ( 1/2 hr before it opens) or later in day,, I found it quietens down after 2.. just my own experience.