We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve Reservation

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
241 posts
51 reviews
New Years Eve Reservation

We'll be in Paris over New Years, staying in the Latin Quarter. Is it too early (or too late for that matter) to book reservations for dinner? I'm wondering if Paris restaurants will require a credit care # to hold the reservation, as many do in the area where I live. Any suggestions for a nice place for dinner on NYE would also be very much appreciated.

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,282 Reviews
from $111.80*
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,928 posts
526 reviews
1. Re: New Years Eve Reservation

We were there 2 years ago fir New Year's Eve. We booked the restaurant a few weeks or maybe a month ahead. No cc needed.

We went to Le Restaurant in L'Hotel which is a Michelin restaurant. It was even more overpriced being NYE so I actually regretted paying the extra.

When we walked out we saw millions of Peoria strolling, with champagne in hand and greeting all with "bonne anne". Also everybody was out in cafes bistros etc eating. We realized hue easy this would have been without paying the extra and no reservations because we sat in a few outdoor cafes for drinks and then dessert.

So if you want a particular place then make reservations. If you want to save the NYE markup you can go to a casual place with no reservations.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
2. Re: New Years Eve Reservation

To assure a decent meal, it's best to reserve. How far in advance depends on the type of restaurant you choose. Most will post their holiday menus on-line around November. Many restaurants offer a "reveillion" menu, which is usually several courses of fancier-than-normal food, for which you pay an exorbitant price. It is not always worth the money, but sometimes you get lucky.

Edited: Hotels we have used (Bristol, Le Meurice) have required credit cards for reservations for New Year's. Some of the fancier restaurants may, as well, but most of them don't seem to.

Travel is problematic on New Year's - taxis go off and hide somewhere, and the Metro is free, but super-crowded. If you do go out, make sure you are able to walk home after dinner.

However, if you are willing and able to spend a large amount of money and reserve at a high-class hotel restaurant, it is a lot of fun - especially if you can book a room for the night.

Edited: 11:35 am, August 17, 2013
Paris, France
Level Contributor
26,084 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: New Years Eve Reservation

What sort of New Year's experience are you looking for? The more expensive places have super special meals at super special prices (often over 200€ per person), but they include the wine, champagne and party hats. These meals are designed to last all evening -- generally from 9 pm to 1 am. Naturally, there is music and dancing as well in most places. If this is what you want, start looking at around the end of November.

If you just want a meal and to have freedom to do what you want before midnight, the cost drops considerably but so do the possibilities (except for chain restaurants). In a case like that, 2 weeks before New Years is plenty.

I myself would never want to be kept prisoner in a restaurant until past midnight with a bunch of noisy, rowdy strangers.

Edited: 12:37 pm, August 17, 2013
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
241 posts
51 reviews
4. Re: New Years Eve Reservation

Kerouac2---we're 2 men aged mid 50's and we're looking for something exactly like what you described in the 2nd paragraph of your response. Staying in the Latin quarter----any suggestions for something suitable in that area? 100 euros per person would probably be our max, less if possible. We'd like to have a leisurely dinner then try and wander over to someplace where we can see the fireworks over the Eiffel Tower.

Thanks to each of the people who responded to my initial post.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
5. Re: New Years Eve Reservation

Though there are no fireworks on New Year's Eve, the town is pretty festive, with people out in the streets or at private parties. A nice idea is take a dinner cruise on the Seine - something I'm not generally a fan of, but was fun on New Year's. There are several cruises that would fit into your budget

6. Re: New Years Eve Reservation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, August 19, 2014