We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

18-month-old baby visiting paris in december

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
18-month-old baby visiting paris in december

We live in Southeast Asia, which is tropical. My 5-year-old has been to Shanghai in March before, when it was relatively cold, but my 18-month-old daughter will be experiencing winter for the first time this December when we go to Paris over the Christmas week.

How warmly should I dress my kids, especially my 18-month-old? Have been doing research, the overwhelming consensus is three layers:

1) Long johns

2) Sweater

3) Parka/Jacket

Do they also need ear muffs, and does anyone have tips for keeping warm headwear on an active 18-month-old who likes ripping things off of her head, e.g. hats etc?

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 18-month-old baby visiting paris in december

Last December it snowed about 5 times, which was extremely rare, since often it doesn't even freeze until January. This is just so that you will know that the weather can be as unpredictable at that time of year as it is during the rest of the year. I would say to plan for outdoor températures between 0° and 10° -- so bring something for her to rip off her head. She'll just be doing the same thing as the French babies.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27,050 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 18-month-old baby visiting paris in december

She will need a hat -- I'd go for one of those knit hats with the tie under the chin -- makes it a tad harder to rip off -- a hood on the parka that can be fastened is also useful. Weather can vary a lot. We had a 22 month old there in late November, early December and mostly she just needed a jacket to go out and play -- it was not terribly cold, but it certainly could be.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,786 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 18-month-old baby visiting paris in december

I would go for the hat more than the ear muffs since you lose much of your body heat through your head. I used mittens for my kid that were connected with a string which ran through the coat up one arm and down through the other. That way if he pulled it off, he couldn't toss it away. Hats with a Velcro fastener under the chin are good too.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
9,142 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 18-month-old baby visiting paris in december

And winter boots.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,681 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 18-month-old baby visiting paris in december

Child needs a hat, and many babys hats tie on under chin, since many babies try to rip them off. Best to cover their head with hat .

Mittens will be good idea.

We need to remember your child is not used to much cold at all so will feel it differently then child from cooler climate ( so will you!) , and also, babies sit in strollers so don't work up heat by walking so they need a blanket to cover their legs if it gets very cold.

A rain cover for stroller is a good idea also.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27,050 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 18-month-old baby visiting paris in december

this is a good point -- our little Chicago baby was comfortable in much lighter weight clothing than the Paris local kids on the playground and a child from a tropical climate is really going to need warmer clothes than one used to cold.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 18-month-old baby visiting paris in december

thanks everyone!

yeah i was thinking of that - my baby is very used to warm humidity where we live, we swelter in Singapore, so she might adapt differently to the winter than kids used to living in cool climates. she doesn't use a stroller, i carry her everywhere, and thanks so much for the tips on keeping her head warm, the string-joined mittens, and the blanket to keep her legs warm!

we'll be visiting Paris Disneyland, so i'll be wrapping her up super duper warm while we're waiting with my 5-year-old for the rides. thanks again! =)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,917 posts
458 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 18-month-old baby visiting paris in december

Every time I have been to paris in the winter I have been cold wet and uncomfortable. I frequently go back to the hotel to change boots or add socks. I live in NY btw which is also cd and wet.

Bring extra scarves mittens layers sweaters socks etc for the while family.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,681 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 18-month-old baby visiting paris in december

I think you might wish you had a lightweight foldable stroller.. even if you carry child at home, think of the many many hours you will be out sightseeing . PLus many little places to eat do not have child seats( high chairs) , so most people just pull stroller up to table for child to sit in and eat from .

When sightseeing most of us are out all day long, only sleeping in hotel , so can you really carry a child for 12 hours ? I realize child can walk but in very crowded places its scary if child pulls hand away and runs off..

I can't imagine not bringing a stroller, but then I had three children and I also liked that I could put some stuff ( like diapers etc , nothing valuable) in the basket under stroller.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27,050 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 18-month-old baby visiting paris in december

if you are used to carrying her, you might consider a baby backpack -- I carried my son in one till he was 2 -- although my husband did most of the heavy lifting after he was about 18 mos old - it was so convenient for travel and he was always content in the backpack where he could put a head on our shoulder and sleep if he needed to whereas he would often fuss down at knee level in a stroller.