We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Details, Metro 5 Day Pass vs 10 Single Uses

10 posts
Save Topic
Travel Details, Metro 5 Day Pass vs 10 Single Uses

Have a trip planned to Paris for around ~3 weeks. I am looking for some information on how best to get around essentially.

I fly into CDG with my partner and am staying in Oberkampf. For this I will take the RER B from the airport to the Gare du Nord and switch to the metro line 5 and get off at Oberkampf.

On the flight home I fly for Beauvais. I was wondering how would I get there from Oberkampf?

Also, I don't know whether to get a metro pass for 5 days which will cost ~£60 each or to get the metro passes that enable 10 single uses. I will be following an itenary that consists of nomadicmatt.com/travel-blogs/… (or close to this) and would like to know the most cost effective way of travelling to these parts of Paris.

Any advice is appreciated,

Many thanks

Adam

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,562 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Details, Metro 5 Day Pass vs 10 Single Uses

the Paris Visite is almost always an overpriced mistake. if you are there from Monday-Sunday of a single week then the Navigo Decouverte is handy and less expensive -- it can be loaded for different prices for different zones -- the base 1-2 loading covers all of Paris including metro stops that are in zone 3.

you would need a 9.50 ticket in from CDG if you don't go for a zone 1-5 pass. For the ND you need a postage size picture (25/30 mm) which you can print off on your computer and bring with you. The ND for Paris is about 20 Euro for the week (plus a one time charge of 5 Euro for the card) It is 35 Euro for all 5 zones for the week.

if you are there for 3 weeks the ND is definitely a better way to go than the Visite.

Otherwise just buying carnet of 10 ordinary tickets is often the best choice. This is not a 10 ride pass, it is 10 ordinary individual tickets. when you run out just buy more -- they are 13.30 for 10 tickets.

To get to BVA -- you take the metro to Porte Maillot and there is a bus service timed to flights from this airport. This inconveniently located airport is 85 km out of town and it is important to get the timing for the transport as there is no cheap and easy other way to get there.

10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Details, Metro 5 Day Pass vs 10 Single Uses

I'm planning on going champs ellyse, arc de triomphe, Notre Dame, the Latin Quarter, Jardin du Luxembourg, the Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, Musee de l'orangerie, the palace of Versailles, the Eiffel Tower, the Holocaust museum, Rue Cler, The Paris Sewer tour and Montmarte.

Do you still recommend what did you did above for these locations?

Thankyou for your help

10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Details, Metro 5 Day Pass vs 10 Single Uses

Also, we are just there for 6 days!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,562 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Details, Metro 5 Day Pass vs 10 Single Uses

what days of the week? and how centrally are you lodging?

all of your sites except for Versailles are in Paris and thus a pass or individual tickets for Paris (zones 1-2 on passes, but actually just zone 1) are accessible this way. most of these sites are walkable from a central spot and Paris is best experienced walking. if you were in the center for example, you might take the metro to Montmartre and then walk there and return by metro. but if you are located centrally and want to see the Arc then walking from the Louvre, through the Tuilleries, to Concord and up the Champs Elysees to the Arc de Triomphe would be the way to go to maximize your enjoyment of sites in Paris. And the Orangerie is on the way and could be factored into this jaunt.

The Paris Visite is overpriced. The ND is perfect for ease for a trip of this length if your 6 days fall within one week. if you lap over a weekend then that doesn't work and the carnet of ordinary tickets with specific tickets for Versailles (roughly 6.50 for each of you) are probably the way to go. you can share a carnet and then just buy another when you run out. if you are 25 or younger you can get a day pass called a Ticket Jeune on weekend days which is a good deal. then the carnet is definitely the right idea -- you would use those tickets weekdays and the Ticket Jeune passes on Sat and Sunday.

10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Details, Metro 5 Day Pass vs 10 Single Uses

We are there Tuesday - Sunday and we have not yet booked but the two we have it narrowed down to are in the Oberkampf area. Would this affect your above recommendations?

The walking seems the best idea as you say, yes combined with the ND I think!

Thanks for your help!

West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Details, Metro 5 Day Pass vs 10 Single Uses

If you are there from Tuesday to Sunday, I would get the Navigo Decouverte for within Paris.. This will give you unlimited travel within Paris itself so you do not have to worry about keeping track of how many single-journey tickets you have left and you can just pop down into the metro/hop on a bus whenever you like.

Just buy separate point to point tickets for your journey in to Paris from CDG.

New Haven...
Level Contributor
51 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Details, Metro 5 Day Pass vs 10 Single Uses

We just stayed near Oberkampf for 18 days. For airport transportation we used Prestige Private Transfers. 60 euros each way. They were great.

On Rue Oberkampf, check out Charbon Restaurant for drinks/dinner. Also, we ate dinner twice at L'Estimante on Oberkampf. Had great meals there.

New Haven...
Level Contributor
51 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Details, Metro 5 Day Pass vs 10 Single Uses

We just stayed near Oberkampf for 18 days. For airport transportation we used Prestige Private Transfers. 60 euros each way. They were great.

On Rue Oberkampf, check out Charbon Restaurant for drinks/dinner. Also, we ate dinner twice at L'Estimante on Oberkampf. Had great meals there.

10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel Details, Metro 5 Day Pass vs 10 Single Uses

Firstly, thanks for all the info already given to me, you've helped me out massively because I was clueless!

I have now booked lodgings in Oberkampf. I have also changed my outgoing flight to CDG to avoid the hassel of getting to BVA.

From the information above I believe it would be most economical to buy a 1-5 ND for our 6 day stay. If I am wrong someone please correct me with a cheaper way!

Many thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,562 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel Details, Metro 5 Day Pass vs 10 Single Uses

with TWO CDG/Paris trips and one trip to Versailles, the ND for 5 zones is perfect. your side trips will cost about 25 Euro -- add that to the about 20 Euro base ND fare for zones 1-2 which adds up to 45 and the ND for 5 zones at 35 is a bargain even with the added 5 Euro cost for the card. plus the ND is so convenient, doesn't demagnetize and you can use it on your next trip.